PDA

View Full Version : RSS Problem

ProPhotoImages
06-03-2006, 08:59 AM
As I am still learning to get around this very beautiful and well contructed board, I have looked over the RSS area and I know what it is and how it's supposed to work. I had wanted to have my webspaces display your NortheastFoto link and also have the Forums board where I am the Photographic Administrator display your link using the RSS feed, but for the life of me, I couldn't seem to get the hang of it.:) BUt...although I didn't get the hang of it, I found an alternative way to have my site link here.:doh And on the board that I'm on, I am going to write an article on this site. Most of the members on my forums board are "newbies" and sometimes the administrators walk them thru the various setup procedures even to tune of having linked up on telephone. We had an 80 year old senior citizen and his wife who were new to computing and between myself and several other administrators we fixed, readjusted and just about rebuilt his system so he could have antivirus and malware free computing. Now, thats what I call tech support.

Maybe at sometime in the future, how to hook up an "RSS" feed to link up other sites will sink in with me but for now I got NortheastFoto linked up:)

convergent
06-03-2006, 10:22 AM
Hmmm... I am not a big RSS user so I may not be the best person to explain. I know that the site is RSS enabled, and for personal RSS feed viewing, there are some buttons at the bottom of pages here to help set that up. If you want to show RSS feeds on your site, I believe you need a script to do that. NEM is compatible with those RSS scripts. What OS is your site running on, Widows or Linux, as that would make a difference on the scripts you use. I know that we run vBulletin and there are scripts/hacks available to allow you to show RSS feeds on your home page with vBulletin. Its all just a matter of figuring out the combination of stuff to make things work. Personally, all I've done with RSS is just use the built-in RSS reader in Firefox (my browser) and it is pretty simple to setup.

ZR2Blazer
06-03-2006, 02:54 PM
Yea I am pretty new to the RSS feeds myself.....I set them up on NEM and did some searches for the most popular RSS feed links and readers. Which in turn is why I added the buttons at the bottom of the page. I only have used the RSS for My Yahoo and MSN, but I havent had a chance to figure out adding them to a website :dunno
In the future it would be a very nice to figure it out and add a "how to" here for others to use :cheers

sparkfndr
06-03-2006, 04:26 PM
if you have vb someone constructed a program to do a forums rss feed engine this is the link http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=94510&highlight=inferno

convergent
06-03-2006, 08:25 PM
Well, I actually just installed a different one here today... called AboutToday. It had integration with vB Advanced, so it made the choice easy. So far, so good.

sparkfndr
06-03-2006, 08:38 PM
ok looks good

ZR2Blazer
06-04-2006, 10:22 AM
Yea looks great Mike....I really like this feature :cheers

convergent
06-04-2006, 04:07 PM
Feel free to suggest any feeds that you think are complimentary. I want to try and avoid having dozens of feeds that all report the same stuff.