PDA

View Full Version : the best and the differences?

aceman152
06-02-2006, 11:30 AM
I was going to do a poll but cannot seem to figure it out :dunno not a concern though. I have been doing this searching thing for awhile to purchase a camera, as most know. But the funds are limited so I was wondering the best P&S cameras out there. Also whats the main difference between a P&S and an Advanced?

Orgnoi1
06-02-2006, 12:54 PM
I am not sure what an "Advanced" camera is... but just with the DSLR market if you look to Nikon and Canon you cant go wrong with their better P&S's (other manufacturers also)....check out Nikons 8700/8800 or Canons S2 or S3.... there are many cameras just like those out there but they are creme of the crop when it comes to P&S.... IMO

ProPhotoImages
06-03-2006, 11:09 AM
For less than about $375.00 you can't beat a Canon A620 7.1 Megapixel which I got my wife for Christmas. She took it to Panama, Costa Rica:) :) , Mexico and Jamaica and with several 1gb sd cards, some NiMh rechargeable batteries came home with some beautiful 3megabye files which I converted to "tiffs" and was able to make her several winners of 11x14 images which I matted for a camera club competition for her. (She took some top honors) really excelent landscapes and made me jealous. The only thing is the body has no hotshoe and no IS and only shoots jpg's but sometimes you can't have everything.:)

ProPhotoImages
07-11-2006, 07:53 AM
Although I carry this little Canon A620 around just in case I run up on something while out and about, I'd really like to have that old discontinued Powershot Pro 1 instead. I have looked high and low so far but no luck. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places. But I think eventually I'll stumble up on one.

Orgnoi1
07-11-2006, 08:28 AM
Ted if you check out the pro-1 forums there are always people buying and selling a couple there... albeit they may be from overseas...

http://www.powershotpro1.com/newforum/

convergent
07-11-2006, 08:29 AM
My one and only P&S is the Nikon Coolpix 4300, and it works pretty well. I initially bought it because its minimum focus distance was pretty short... for close-up work. Probably with so many point and shoots to chose from, you are going to have to identify a price you want to pay, then compare within that price segment... otherwise you'll go batty trying to decide.