PDA

View Full Version : My Canon Pro-1

Orgnoi1
01-20-2006, 11:42 AM
I found this little work horse on Fred Mirandas site... I was pretty hesitant at first until I talked to the guys at PhotoLab who own them... so at the price I paid it is some nice piece of mind to be able to carry this thing around... it is a LOT smaller then most people would think so... as you will see in my follow up post here... (PLUS... it has L Glass)

Orgnoi1
01-20-2006, 11:44 AM
"Work Horses"

Both sporting L Lenses at 200mm...its easy to see why the Pro-1 is a good travel choice...

CruzinGirl
01-20-2006, 12:51 PM
VERY NICE!!!! Someday I'll get some L glass!!!!:dunno :)

Orgnoi1
01-20-2006, 12:55 PM
THIS... is exactly why I bought this camera....hahahha

CruzinGirl
01-20-2006, 01:04 PM
Aren't you supposed to be paying attention to the road when driving??? Not paying attention to the camera??? lol.

Orgnoi1
01-20-2006, 01:05 PM
this is a point and shoot... it had an active rear display....hahhaha

ZR2Blazer
01-20-2006, 01:08 PM
THIS... is exactly why I bought this camera....hahahha

Wow WTFis that :dunno ......that is too damn funny :roflmao :roflmao

Orgnoi1
01-20-2006, 01:10 PM
lol....Lady Liberty in a ski-mask....although it looks like a dude....hahahaha

ZR2Blazer
01-20-2006, 01:11 PM
Who was she getting ready to car-jack :dunno :roflmao

where was that?

Orgnoi1
01-20-2006, 01:13 PM
LOL I dont know... I had been on my way up to my Credit Union and saw her (him) up by the Clifton Park Pizza store... so when I came back.. I had the camera ready and in hand...LOL

ZR2Blazer
01-20-2006, 01:25 PM
Thats just too funny....

CruzinGirl
01-20-2006, 01:51 PM
lol...Ross, watch the news...the police may need those photos for evidence of a car-jacking!!! My point and shoot digital is still turning off with low battery no matter what I do, gotta run it down to PhotoLab one of these nights after work and see if there is anythign they can do with it...if not I'm going to be very disappointed!

ATVinBarbie
01-20-2006, 03:20 PM
lmao...... okay, when I asked you to share photos taken with your new "toy".... that's NOT exactly what I was hoping for.... but funny! :lmao

Orgnoi1
01-20-2006, 03:27 PM
Sorry I hadnt been out yet to take any really...so I just went for a short drive around... and took a couple... now keep in mind... I did NO post processing aside from resizing and putting a border and copyright on this... these arent sharpened or had any color adjustments...

ATVinBarbie
01-20-2006, 03:30 PM
Nice Brick house. ;)

And you STILL have more snow than us. That's just WRONG! :eek:

Pretty descent shots for point and shoot... and no real editing done. :thumb

Since Paul has taken over my "old" kodak, this camera might be a concideration for a future purchase for me for a quick grab point and shoot camera. :thumb

Orgnoi1
01-20-2006, 03:39 PM
Yeah I would have to say that this is a pretty serious P&S camera... its heavy (magnesium body) and has a normal zoom twist charactoristic like a real zoom lens... but is electronically driven.

Here is a 100% (1:1 zoom) crop of the brick house and the EXIF data...

ProPhotoImages
06-03-2006, 10:58 AM
I found this little work horse on Fred Mirandas site... I was pretty hesitant at first until I talked to the guys at PhotoLab who own them... so at the price I paid it is some nice piece of mind to be able to carry this thing around... it is a LOT smaller then most people would think so... as you will see in my follow up post here... (PLUS... it has L Glass)

I am going to investigate this little baby and google it at dpreview cause it has "L glass" and a hot shoe. Now if shoots "raw", I am not going to worry about "IS". I'm gonna get it to take along to Southeast Asia as an extra.

Thanks for the Info tip.:pound

Orgnoi1
06-04-2006, 06:59 PM
It actually DOES shoot raw... but I forget what format it is in to tell you the truth... the camera really is a great little P&S as long as you dont mind running a noise program afterwards sometimes...

ProPhotoImages
07-30-2006, 08:06 PM
Well, I bit the bullet for a powershot pro 1 which should arrive tomorrow my USPS. I'm not sure what "firmware is on it, but I did look at the Canon site site and I might have to download and install that. It shoots "raw" but not sure which yet. Cr 2 or CW2. Has an external flash on top but not sure whether it will take my 580. Uses BP 511A's. I know there's no "histogram" to check exposure and they tell me it's slow but this will be my walking around camera instead of using the Canon A620.

Orgnoi1
07-30-2006, 08:14 PM
I too dont know which RAW format it shoots at... but the 580ex works great with it as well as the ST-E2... the focus and zoom are slow because it is electronically controlled twist for zoom and focus works basically the same... but it certainly isnt terrible at all.. in fact for anything normal speed it is a pleasure to shoot with... you are definately going to be happy with your purchase!!!!

zacker
07-30-2006, 09:23 PM
i believe its cr ted. although i havent used mine in awhile... and the last time i did i shot in jpeg.. Put it this way, your cs or cs2 will open the files! Good luck, this camera will allow you to slow down and shoot (youll have no choice..lol) it is a great little cam though, thats why i still have mine!

ProPhotoImages
07-31-2006, 11:47 PM
Well, My powershot arrived and after reading the manual I have discovered that this Canon model takes a new firmware version 1.0.1.0. What's installed now is version 1.0.0.0. The newer version firmware makes improvements to the AF speed, zooming improvements and specification changes for the way images are displayed in continuous AF mode.

I've downloaded the firmware, but before installing, the software disk must be installed according to the directions because the camera must be hooked up to the computer using the "usb" cable and a fully charged 511A battery. There is no adapter to plug in to a wall socket as there is in other Canons. It seems as if firmware installation is a bit of a pain and much more than installation in some of the other models. For some reason "zoombrowser" is needed to make sure that the firmware was installed properly. Since I already have a later version of the Canon solution disk with it's software, I am halfway there.

The only thing I am a little disapointed with is that in order to attach a filter, the hood is now inoperable, but that's easily solved with a 58mm to 72mm stepup ring and a spare screw-in hood from another lens. The buttons on the body are made for babies and I have large fingers but thats ok too.

All in all it's a neat small camera and gonna be great for carrying around.

convergent
07-31-2006, 11:56 PM
Sounds like a great little camera. One of these days I need to upgrade my Point & Shoot from the Nikon Coolpix 4300 that I currently have. I just never seem to want to bring anything but a DSLR.

ProPhotoImages
08-01-2006, 04:05 AM
All is now done. The new firmware went on as smooth as silk. I had to bring up "zoombrowser" and the camera settings window in order to check to make sure I had the new download in correctly and while at it, I played a little with the software.

Call me paranoid, but I don't particularly care for hooking a camera body directly to a computer on battery juice alone, let alone using an AC adapter plugged into a wall outlet cause here in Washington, there are far too many brownouts and loss of electricity due to the extreme heat and usage of electricity in a City of 800,000 people.

The firmware update, when unpacked as "Canon calls it" puts a folder on your desktop. You then hook up the camera to the computer and open the folder and an "upload" icon puts the firmware on your 64mb CFC which you have initialized. You then disconnect the camera from the PC turn it off and back on and hit menu and you will then see a "firmware update". There's lots of instructions for doing this in a "pdf" file that you printout beforehand.

That's two things I can thank Orgnoi1 for. I already owe him several "brews".

Orgnoi1
08-01-2006, 05:57 AM
All is now done. The new firmware went on as smooth as silk. I had to bring up "zoombrowser" and the camera settings window in order to check to make sure I had the new download in correctly and while at it, I played a little with the software.

Call me paranoid, but I don't particularly care for hooking a camera body directly to a computer on battery juice alone, let alone using an AC adapter plugged into a wall outlet cause here in Washington, there are far too many brownouts and loss of electricity due to the extreme heat and usage of electricity in a City of 800,000 people.

The firmware update, when unpacked as "Canon calls it" puts a folder on your desktop. You then hook up the camera to the computer and open the folder and an "upload" icon puts the firmware on your 64mb CFC which you have initialized. You then disconnect the camera from the PC turn it off and back on and hit menu and you will then see a "firmware update". There's lots of instructions for doing this in a "pdf" file that you printout beforehand.

That's two things I can thank Orgnoi1 for. I already owe him several "brews".

Glad you like the camera!!! I better plan on not going anywhere when you pay me back... seems I may be going to get a little tipsy...LOL

zacker
08-01-2006, 07:45 AM
Ted....lol wait till you try to take the filter off the adapter ring..!!!
lol
its like the first thing you see from new owners at the porweshot pro1 site.

ProPhotoImages
08-01-2006, 08:50 AM
Well, it seems as if I did make an error in assessing the Powershot Pro 1. It does have a "histogram" and I also tried using my ac adapter that works with my 5D & 20D but no such luck. So I am going to see if I can conjur up a D560 adapter just in case. I also found that I have to get that tele conversion attachment in order to use my 500D closeup filter.

BTW, in my KEH publication there is another Powershot Pro 1 at $499.00 which says excellent+

convergent
08-01-2006, 10:00 AM
Ted, I would be careful with mixing AC adapters. I completely fried the motherboard on a laptop one time like that... trying a different laptop power adapter because I left mine at home and was on a business trip. It made for a very unproductive trip. The thing to do is look at the little symbol on the power supply telling whether the center pole is positive or negative, first. Once you know for sure that it matches, then look at the amps and voltage. The amps doesn't have to match, but needs to be equal to our higher than the one you are replacing. Voltage needs to match, but sometimes there is a range given and you'll need to do a little interpretation. Once that all lines up, you can give it a try. However, there is still some risk involved. Trying one blindly can really end up with bad results. Even it if doesn't fry it, it could stress the components and cause them to have other intermittent problems.

ProPhotoImages
08-01-2006, 11:22 AM
Convergent.

You know what they say..."God looks out for fools and babies" and it's been a long, long time since I was a baby. I got stupid wanting to load that "dumb" firmware and got impatient too. Luckily, I got away this time. There may not be a next time. And you are absolutely right about those ac adapters.
If anyone is reading these posts be forewarned and forearmed. Don't try it.
Also luckily, I was able to get a DC560 plug-in charger from B&H this morning. I am sweating bullets afterwards just thinking about what I did.

Zacker,
I know about those filter adapters and putting the filter on too tight and not being able to get them off. I'ts "rubbermaid" to the rescue. LOL...
Those go under "What's the dumbest thing you ever did".

Maybe we ought to start a "dumbest thing" Thread. LOL