PDA

View Full Version : Can you speed up computer for processing photos?

applerdkennels
03-02-2010, 01:30 PM
I want to know if anyone has any advice on speeding up processing with Photoshop ~ dealing with photo's on the computer.

I have read some old post and I see it say's u have to have enough RAM. I have 2 GB of RAM...is this enough?
I also have a 2.80GHZ CPU and am running XP. I just reformated and reinstalled windows xp and my Zoom Browser and Adobe Photoshop 8. Dell Dimension 3000 149 Gig HD with 130 GB free space. (About 5 years old)
I rebooted my computer because it stopped running programs I wanted to use. (Mostly photo and video programs.)
I recently got the Canon 50D and have not been able to process RAW like I used to with my XSi using Zoom Browser. (I cannot on either my pc or laptop)
When I open my pics up with Adobe 8 it takes forever. (Keep in mind I only have about 8 gig of photo's on my "new/old" computer.)

Any advice for "faster" processing of opening up photo's? I am limited on my computer knowledge so the KISS theory is good for me... :D

Thanks for any help.

JustinL
03-02-2010, 04:46 PM
What's Photoshop 8? CS1?

if you think having CS open is bad then don't open Adobe Bridge!!! First guess I'd say 2GB of RAM may not be enough. I'll check what I have running at home. I have run CS2 with bridge and it chugs slowly along.

applerdkennels
03-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Photoshop Element 8

I'm dreaming that the Software Fairy will bring me lightroom some day....

Orgnoi1
03-03-2010, 06:20 AM
I try to stay away from Bridge... its your computers enemy...LOL

2g is plenty for normal processing...

zacker
03-05-2010, 10:46 PM
well i got 2gb ram on my desktop.. its s-l-o-w to say the least while working in photoshop.. when you get a status bar on the screen while opening a photo from ACR to the PS work area... you got the crawls..lol I also have 1 gg ram on this laptop and its even worse..lol But. I have 6 gigs on my work pc (alienware Aurora) with win 7, 64bit..and what a diff... you click on the PS icon to open it and its like turning on a light... its just there and using Photoshop is really fast.. lol but, i dont have the scratch to buy a 6 gig system for myself so i think its gonna be slow time for me.

applerdkennels
03-05-2010, 11:00 PM
Thanks guys....so it looks like I need to look into more RAM...if my system will take it...I will find out.

zacker
03-05-2010, 11:24 PM
im not sure but i think i read somewhere that PS willl only see 3 gigs of ram... you might wanna check out the photoshop support group on flicker..