View Full Version : No more DSLR

01-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Well I sold off my 20D and my lenses.
Got rid of it while i could get SOMETHING out of it.
Value dropped like a rock over 2yrs!

Just too tempting of a money pit and rather not go down that slippery slope. :rolleyes:
Besides I'm going where there are crowds and Mountain Biking more.
A big ass DSLR and 5-6lbs of glass is just too much to lug around.

I picked up a nice lil Canon SX20 IS (20x zoom = 28-560mm)
It's 12mp and does 720p HD Video with stereo sound if I want to.
AMAZING lil Camera!!

I've been arguing around some of the other photo forums I'm on that....
You don't need a $5000 Camera to take professional pics!
(You still need a DSLR for Studio work....that I can see)

"It's the person behind the camera that makes the photo not the camera"

Seems that "Seasoned Pro's" get real upset when I say that! WHY??
It's true....A real Pro can get a Professional Photo with a Kodak Brownie Box Camera or a $5000 DSLR.

Your thoughts?
Am I NuTz?
I've been called worse by my Kids! LMAO

01-02-2010, 08:12 AM
I tell you what... I was looking at that camera for a friend. That one and the G11 Wow! Awesome little cameras!

As for your choice...I'm glad you did what was best for you!

I look forward to seeing you post pictures from your mountain biking adventures! You will see some amazing stuff and I hope you will post here!

01-02-2010, 03:04 PM
I don't think you're nuts. :D It's amazing what some of these smaller cameras can do these days, plus there's always post processing to give your photos a boost. I learned to shoot on a little PowerShot, which has since sort of bit the dust. I was just saying to a friend yesterday how much I need a smaller camera. Like you said, there are just some situations where the DSLR isn't practical. Still............I'm going to hang on to mine!!

Enjoy your new camera! Can't wait to see some pics from it.

01-02-2010, 03:24 PM
i dont think you are nuts at all, but not completely right either. although p&s's are becoming very good capable cameras they are still lacking in the versatility that you get with an slr. if you are only going to shoot landscapes you dont need much more with a little pp skills, but if you are going to shoot a downhill race and get that close up shot from out of harms way you may have a tough time with a p&s.

I'm not saying that you are wrong in your statement, just not completely correct. i did just get a power shot 1200 so i can quit carrying my d300 around with me all the time so i do agree that these smaller cameras are quite capable.

01-02-2010, 07:04 PM
I am with nvr2low on most points. I have yet to see a p&s that can match the average DSLR, especially in versatility. Personally, if I were you I probably would have at least held onto the lenses.

That being said, I shot with the S2is for quite a while. They are great little cameras and they keep getting better. I don't know much about the 20D and can't really speak for it. I would imagine the older you get with the DSLR and the newer you get with the P&S, you will start seeing a leveling of the playing field. In other words, the new p&s shoot you bought might be more closely matched to the 20D than it is to the newer DSLR that has replaced the 20D in it's class (kind of common sense).

A co-worker of mine (we are private investigators) shoots with a slightly older version of the camera you just bought. I can say for certain that there is NO comparison in the level of quality in low light shooting between his p&s and my D90 (and d90 is very good in low light but by far not as good as some of the full frame cameras). His low light shots are always MUCH noisier at the same ISO.

I am in no way trying to be overly negative and maybe the smaller camera will even spark your creativity even more. Smaller point and shoots certainly have a place in the world of photography.

Does the camera make the photographer? Not totally but it makes a good photographer that much better. Moose Peterson wouldn't do landscapes with a 8k dollar Nikon D3x if it didn't much matter (not the best example because he was probably given the camera by Nikon but you get the point).

I'll end my novice ramblings with a sports analogy that just came to me: You could probably give Albert Pujols a fungo bat and he would still outhit some major league ball players batting with regular bats but in a profession with so many talented people why would he want to put himself at a disadvantage? In other words can you make great photos with a p&s... absolutely. If you are in photography to be a "pro" and sell your photos in an already saturated market I don't know as I would want to.

01-23-2010, 11:21 PM
there is / are absolutly no rules, laws or anything that states to be a photographer you need a dslr with lots of glass, the same as you can be a mechanic wether you use Snap on, Craftsmen, Husky or Stanley tools. Remember, the Person shooting the photo is the photog, not the camera.. the camera is the tool and just as with everything else... you need the right tool to get a certain job done so.. if you dont need the versatality or speed of the dslr, then a point and shoot is fine.. remeber the goal is to get the photo not brag about what was used to do it... some of the worlds greatest photos wer shot with little more than a wood box with a pinhole in it.. so why would anyone think youd need to spend over 10 grand to get good shots? I looked at the .. s90IS.. that looks sweet but outta my price range at the moment..lol

01-24-2010, 10:51 AM
idk, id just feel stupid showing up to shoot a game and having a point and shoot....i think people would look at me weird...

01-24-2010, 01:41 PM
Your thoughts?
Am I NuTz?
I've been called worse by my Kids! LMAO

How is your new camera working out? Do you Love it, Like it, Hate it? Post some pics!!

I just got the G11 yesterday. What a kicking little camera. I told my husband it will be my pocket book camera...

I went to a "nice" event a month ago and was all dressed up and walking in with my backpack of gear was not the most attractive thing. (I had my husband carry it...lol)

I love that I can carry this one in my purse!!:happy

01-25-2010, 12:56 PM
i always have my little sd850IS in my pocket...even when shooting w/ the 30D. its just nice to have a.... side arm if you will...

01-25-2010, 12:59 PM
idk, id just feel stupid showing up to shoot a game and having a point and shoot....i think people would look at me weird...

yeah and you prolly wouldnt get too many keepers..lol i guess it all comes down to what you shoot.. if its macro or still life .. a good point and shoot would be great, but if its action and sports, maybe it wont.. different tools for different jobs i guess ..

01-28-2010, 10:41 AM
I think it depends on what you are going to shoot, and what context you are shooting in. If you are doing snapshots outdoors, or primarily shooting stationary subjects outdoors, then you will get comparable results with the P&S... in fact my daughter has bettered me a few times because she isn't fiddling with settings and just gets the shot. But there are many things that you simply can't do with a P&S, no matter how good a photographer you are. I shoot a lot of indoor high school sports. There is no way you can use any P&S and get even decent actions shots in that lighting. Maybe one day it will be possible, but thus far the capability in low light do action shots is just not there. Other things like macro, fisheye, and such are flexibility elements that a P&S usually can't tackle, although some have some capabilities in that regard. If you are doing wildlife work, you may have trouble with reach with a P&S. And even for shooting indoor snapshots where you don't want them to look flashed, it is tough with a P&S. Finally, the beautiful dreamy bokeh that a large aperture lens can do for you can't be replicated with a P&S.

You mentioned pros snubbing their nose at using a P&S. They are going to have the technical needs to deal with that I mentioned, but also there is another intrinsic element that a pro is dealing with... that of expectations of clients. If you showed up to do a professional shoot with a compact P&S camera, and the client was paying you $100/hour for the work, I am going to say that they will probably not take you seriously even if you could achieve everything they needed with a P&S. When I show up at a game with my big white lenses, I am going to draw attention from the parents and players... out of the gate they are going to "assume" I know what I'm doing and will get good shots that they will want to buy. There is a value in that element to a pro when they are trying to sell their work. It may seem silly, but it does affect sales, and it affects the starting expectations of the clients. And, in my case, it does have a great impact on the results.

02-26-2010, 03:02 PM
Refer to this post for my results with my new lil P&S