PDA

View Full Version : Personal Choice - Advice please!

Moon-willow
10-29-2009, 10:08 AM
My brother and his wife have a new baby, These shots were taken a week before she was born, a month early. I'm mostly a landscape photographer, but I really wanted to do these shots and they were most accomodating. I had one lamp light to work with and a black background. I'm still trying to learn how to use the flash in my photography, so I opted to not use it in this shot.... suggestions on how I could have done this better?

original shot with just come cloning on her belly from bruising:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2769/4055048489_475acb0ba7.jpg

b/w conversion:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2694/4055789432_da8d4c3c2a.jpg

old world/sepia:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3486/4055048469_15bd43288d.jpg

docphysics
10-29-2009, 10:15 AM
I don't really know anything, but the one thing I would suggest is just a little more flash fill to get some more exposure on his left eye, that side of his face is kind of underexposed, especially in the color image. Other than that I think its a great capture.

NYracefan
10-29-2009, 07:07 PM
I actually like it with the dark shadows. I think it sort of adds more mood to the photo.

I like the color version the best myself. I will say I think this is an amazing image. I really like the idea behind this and how you composed the shot. When I look at this I can really feel the love this couple has for each other, as well as for the unborn child. I feel this is a very powerful image. Certainly a very nice photo for the happy couple to enjoy for many years to come.

All that said, I have absolutely no interest at all in portrait type photography, and know little about any aspect of it. I rarely look at them or comment on them but this one really stood out to me as being something special.

Moon-willow
10-29-2009, 10:40 PM
I don't really know anything, but the one thing I would suggest is just a little more flash fill to get some more exposure on his left eye, that side of his face is kind of underexposed, especially in the color image. Other than that I think its a great capture.

Thanks! Will try the flash fill in editing...I used the dodge brush in the b/w & sepia, but it didn't work in the color well...

Moon-willow
10-29-2009, 10:43 PM
I actually like it with the dark shadows. I think it sort of adds more mood to the photo.

I like the color version the best myself. I will say I think this is an amazing image. I really like the idea behind this and how you composed the shot. When I look at this I can really feel the love this couple has for each other, as well as for the unborn child. I feel this is a very powerful image. Certainly a very nice photo for the happy couple to enjoy for many years to come.

All that said, I have absolutely no interest at all in portrait type photography, and know little about any aspect of it. I rarely look at them or comment on them but this one really stood out to me as being something special.

my personal fav is the sepia, but that is because I've got some old old old photos that this matches with :)

we had a lot of fun and got some really nice images, but she wasn't supposed to be out of bed .... here is the love shot:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2720/4057435226_89f399b855.jpg

Thank you for the comments/compliments too :)

Orgnoi1
10-30-2009, 06:44 AM
I agree with Jeff... its a powerful image... and one I am sure they will love no matter what...

I am NO lighting expert... in fact I dont know much about it at all really... but what my untrained eye sees... are two seperate issues... one the output of the light you did use... and the darkness of the one you didnt...

to me his shirt is slightly blown out... just slightly... maybe one stop or so... and a fill light at a VERY low setting from the far front would aid in the shadows for sure although they arent bad at all...

all in all though its a great shot... and one they are going to love that you got... forever...

docphysics
10-30-2009, 12:29 PM
I really like the love shot. Great capture!!!!!!!!!!!

JustinL
10-30-2009, 10:04 PM
That last shot you just posted is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$! And as for the choice of the top 3, why not let them decide? Show them all 3 and give them the choice?