PDA

View Full Version : dancin on a daisy ~ what do you think?

Moon-willow
07-05-2009, 06:20 PM
I've always been in awe of how people can get an image so crisp and clear, while everything else is in total blur... I've playing with my camera settings and have it "almost" down pat, but I have problems with white flowers. Everything in this image is straight out of the canon 30d dslr, except for the white petals. I had to do a unmask in post processing to get some definition.... any recommendations or comments/critiques?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2602/3691157335_6cbca01fe5.jpg

the ultimate goal is to use no post processing
(p.s. I do not have any filters yet)

Aster
07-05-2009, 06:46 PM
What problems do you have with the white flowers? Are they blown out?

Moon-willow
07-05-2009, 08:11 PM
What problems do you have with the white flowers? Are they blown out? very blown out...to me they look over exposed... I'll post the un-processed image :)

Aster
07-05-2009, 08:18 PM
very blown out...to me they look over exposed... I'll post the un-processed image :)

I ask, because I've had the same problem with white or bright yellow flowers. I'd like to know how to solve this as well! :Hammer

Moon-willow
07-05-2009, 08:19 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2464/3692364466_574bc3d5e3.jpg

this is a better example of my issues. no definition to the petals :/

Moon-willow
07-05-2009, 08:22 PM
I ask, because I've had the same problem with white or bright yellow flowers. I'd like to know how to solve this as well! :Hammer

yep, yellow sometimes but not as much! hopefully someone will have a recommendation... I imagine metering might work, but not if I'm doing bugs :)

oldnavy170
07-05-2009, 11:30 PM
I don't think they are overexposed but I think it's the focusing. It's almost like the flowers in the back are only partially out of focus. Maybe try a different F-stop depending on what you are trying to achieve.

Orgnoi1
07-06-2009, 06:05 AM
out of a DSLR its next to impossible to go with "no" processing... remember that a human sees with a "variable aperture" so what you see isnt necessarily what the camera will see...

ok first off to address the first picture...
aside from being centered theres not much wrong with it... the negative space works on some images but only if the image has been creatively cropped... your background blur (or BOKEH) looks good though.. I would try either cropping much tighter so that the flowers head is in the upper quadrant of the image... or if you cropped already maybe looking into not cropping so much so that it doesnt reside right in the middle... the white petals are always tough when you shoot... you can either shoot in M and walk your images down slightly or you can change the EC (exposure compensation) down to say -1/3 or -2/3 to gain more contrast...

on the second image we actually need a little more info... as you "saved for web" it stripped the image of the exif data so I cant tell what focal length, aperture, and shutter speed you used... I am guessing though that you are using a lens that has a >2.0 aperture due to the shallow depth of field... the front flower looks fine... the others are starting to lose definition because of the shallow DOF... at least thats what it looks like to me...

Moon-willow
07-06-2009, 11:03 AM
I don't think they are overexposed but I think it's the focusing. It's almost like the flowers in the back are only partially out of focus. Maybe try a different F-stop depending on what you are trying to achieve. Thanks! ~ Will do a few different f-stops & make notes :)

Moon-willow
07-06-2009, 11:44 AM
out of a DSLR its next to impossible to go with "no" processing....

okay Ross... I was afraid someone was going to say that!

as for the centering of the flower, yes the crop was intentional... wanted more of a feeling of singled out, lost in space and the bokeh was part of the whole image.

as for the 2nd image,
Exposure:0.008 sec (1/125)
Aperture:f/5.6
Focal Length:135 mm
ISO Speed:100
Exposure Bias:0 EV
Flash:Off, Did not fire

I think I know what I did wrong though after looking at the exif ~ the saturation was set for +4... going with Ross's "EC (exposure compensation) down to say -1/3 or -2/3 to gain more contrast" is something I'll have to play with.

I'll just keep at it and one day I'll get it! Thanks everyone for your input, gives me food for thought and new directions to try.

oldnavy170
07-06-2009, 11:16 PM
When all said and done I think you did a great job! A few adjustments and you'll have it just right.