PDA

View Full Version : Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR - A compelling sensor design

convergent
02-11-2009, 09:12 AM
I have been tire kicking on buying a point and shoot for a long time. I've bought my daughter and wife different models of the Canon SD750/850IS family, and they seem to love them. I had toyed with getting a Canon G9, but ended up not pulling the trigger. This new Fuji camera looks pretty good because of an innovative new sensor design that lets you pick between high resolution, high ISO, or high dynamic range. If it works, it will be a breakthrough that will hopefully transfer over to other cameras in the future.

This is a good high level overview... http://blogs.zdnet.com/digitalcameras/?p=456

From DPReview at http://www.dpreview.com/news/0902/09020402fujifilmfinepixf200exr.asp :

The world’s most versatile photographic sensor

Faced with a market driven by the demand for higher pixel counts, yet conscious that high concentrations of pixels on small sensors can produce diminishing quality returns, Fujifilm engineers had a radical rethink about sensor technology. Why not make a sensor that can flex its behaviour according to the scene to be photographed? Why not give full resolution when bright light allows, but use the pixels in a different way when the light is not ideal? The FinePix F200EXR offers 3 switchable modes in one sensor:

High Resolution mode, which deploys all twelve million pixels, and is designed to offer the finest detail of intricate subjects when light is full and even

High Sensitivity and Low Noise mode, which caps two adjacent pixels together to produce 6 million large photodiodes, which are big enough to absorb light in the darkest of conditions, to produce low-light shots of extraordinary quality with minimal noise and grain; and

Wide Dynamic Range mode, which captures different exposures with two sets of six million pixels, which, when combined, gives an excellent level of detail in highlights that would otherwise be lost.

In EXR Mode, the photographer can choose which sensor setting is preferable for the subject to be photographed by choosing High Resolution Priority (HR) to maximise resolution, High ISO and Low Noise Priority (SN) for high quality low-light work or D-Range Priority (DR) for the best detail with contrasty subjects.

twoshadows
02-11-2009, 04:05 PM
Very interesting...

I'd be curious as to how well the high iso / low noise mode works. With a smallish sensor, it may be hard to gather enough light in dark conditions without still introducing a lot of noise. Of course, I'm used to Dslr iso quality to give you an idea on my perspective. :)

photographicfireman
02-12-2009, 01:27 AM
oooo the high iso low noise....i wonder how that'd work on picking up action shots in gyms if it ever got put in a dslr. might eliminate all those 1.8 lenses dun dun duuuuun

NYracefan
03-04-2009, 05:25 PM
I have a Fuji Finepix S5100-laying around, that I used to use a lot, back before I got my D50. I really liked that camera and the thing was bullet proof. Used it in blinding snowstorms, extreme cold weather, rain, dust, and the thing still works like a charm. Good little camera.

I would buy another Fuji based on my previous expierience with the brand. I know they make a decent camera, this one sounds like it would be worth checking out.