PDA

View Full Version : Critique Please

applerdkennels
01-30-2009, 09:25 PM
I am looking for a critique on this picture.
This is not the original. I did try to play around with it a bit.
I know it is not great but I like it.

http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo204/applerdkennels/IMG_3120a2.jpg

Orgnoi1
01-30-2009, 10:06 PM
I think it looks pretty good for a "senior" type shot... I am more curious though about that Ruger 10/22 with the short foregrip stock... interesting set up...

applerdkennels
01-30-2009, 10:31 PM
I think it looks pretty good for a "senior" type shot... I am more curious though about that Ruger 10/22 with the short foregrip stock... interesting set up...
We did this shot two years ago. Same set up. I just had a P&S then.
Sasha, Meg her "Pheasant" dog, and her favorite gun.
She calls this one her "tricked-out" gun. :D The gun fit's her well size wise and is real light weight...nice little gun.
This is one of her "Senior" photo's.
Any suggestions for improvement on the shot??

stoneylonesome
01-31-2009, 09:32 AM
I really think it looks great as it is. The emphasis on you daughter is very clear and it shows 2 of her favorite things quite well. Sweet looking rifle, bet it's great fun to shoot.

Moon-willow
01-31-2009, 10:48 AM
The only thing I might have done a little differently is moved her a little farther away from the tree so as to not have as much shadow, or did a small back light or model light so you can see the highlights of her hair.
She looks very natural and relaxed, very nice photo :)

applerdkennels
02-01-2009, 02:00 PM
The only thing I might have done a little differently is moved her a little farther away from the tree so as to not have as much shadow, or did a small back light or model light so you can see the highlights of her hair.
She looks very natural and relaxed, very nice photo :)
I don't have any photo lights yet. Thanks for your advise. One of the things that bothers' me the most about this photo is how her hair blends with the tree. I think your advise would help this problem...thanks!

applerdkennels
02-01-2009, 02:03 PM
I really think it looks great as it is. The emphasis on you daughter is very clear and it shows 2 of her favorite things quite well. Sweet looking rifle, bet it's great fun to shoot.
Yes, she enjoys shooting it. I think this gun will be one of her LIFETIME favorites....
We got it at the Trading Post in Kittery ME....Think it is one of our best buys yet! Everyone who holds it can't believe how lightweight it is. It's short length is also an advantage in moving in the woods.:happy

twoshadows
02-01-2009, 03:45 PM
Roberta,

Do you have PS? If so, then try the shadows/highlights tool. I messed around with it in PS and it really came out nice. I'll post up an example if it's ok.

applerdkennels
02-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Roberta,

Do you have PS? If so, then try the shadows/highlights tool. I messed around with it in PS and it really came out nice. I'll post up an example if it's ok.
I have Paint Shop Pro. I would love if you posted an example.
Thanks!
I'll look in Paint Shop and see if I have that option.
Thanks again.

stoneylonesome
02-01-2009, 09:19 PM
I have Paint Shop Pro. I would love if you posted an example.
Thanks!
I'll look in Paint Shop and see if I have that option.
Thanks again.

Couple of ways to do it in PSP12
1) is go to 'Enhance Photo', click on 'Smart Photo Fix', make sure the advancd options is checked, than just play with the sliders, mainly 'overall', 'shadows' and 'highlights', I'd start with brighting the shadows a little, I also like to have the 'preview on image' box checked.
2) under the adjust pull down, brightness and contrast, there are several options to play with like 'highlight, midtone, and shadow', just remember a little goes a long way.

nvr2low
02-02-2009, 08:26 AM
if you are to shoot it again, i would get a hotshoe flash and bounce it off the ceiling. for a single flash shot it would help put more light on top of her to separate her from the tree.

zacker
02-02-2009, 08:42 AM
i actually wrote a reply here but it wouldnt go through..so..

basicallywhat i said was that even though its a great shot.. I think that the gun and dog would work better if she were wearing hunting gear and was out in the woods or in a field.. Im just thinking that the gun just doesnt look right with the festive tree and such and non camo gear.. lol...

Orgnoi1
02-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Any suggestions for improvement on the shot??

Sorry...just caught this... I think the only real "improvement" if you want to call it that is to make more distance from tree to subject... or maybe bring the aperture down to say f/2 to try out... that will also give better seperation from subject to background...

Its a good thing that Sasha is homeschooled... I know in the not so far past a couple schools had REAL issues with firearms being in pictures... one case in point was a kid that was a very serious trap and skeet competitor... who had his picture taken with the gun breech in the safety open position over the shoulder... which is a pose particular to the sport... and they would not include it in the yearbook... sad state of affairs that a sport which is even an olympic sport isnt recognised...

MrsCL
02-02-2009, 09:01 PM
overall its a nice picture...I would have not used the on board flash and would have moved her away from the tree some....