PDA

View Full Version : Well, I finally broke down...

TomNanos
12-11-2008, 11:27 PM
No, I didn't go Apple. I did buy my first off the shelf computer in about 10 years (I normally build them myself). Without the time to get to the computer shows, and to put it together, I just went down to Best Buy and took advantage of their 18 month free financing. I picked up an Acer Aspire AX3200 - AMD Phenom X3 triple core, 4GB RAM and Vista 64 (so far it's not horrible, especially now that I shut off those damned "Are you sure you want to do that" messages:Hammer). It's one of those mini form-factor PCs, which is fine, because most of my drives are external USB or FireWire, and this guy has both of those built in (along with eSATA). And as a true geek, I've already broken the "Warranty is void if broken" seal...had to look inside... :D

So far, so good. I'm in the process of moving all of my images onto one 1.5TB drive (the original drives will be shut down, and put in the closet as the long-term backup, with the newer files being actively backed up), and rebuilding my Lightroom database, of course using the 64 bit version of LR 2.1. BTW, LR flies on this machine. Imports breeze along, as does creating 1:1 previews. And in the develop module, it's nearly instant when you zoom in on a picture. My other PC, which was no slouch when I built it (2.6 GHz Pentium 4), took forever to give me a full sized view.

twoshadows
12-11-2008, 11:50 PM
Congrats, Tom. A new system is a blessing, epsecially when there's a batch of photos to process. :)

convergent
12-12-2008, 01:03 AM
As long as it isn't a Dell. If you had bought a Dell I might have had to ban you from the site! (only kidding of course)

If you are putting all your images on a 1.5TB drive, PLEASE make sure you have them backed up double. It would be criminal if you lost your work and I might have to ban you from the site! (only kidding of course)

I've gotten my first taste of sour Apple today. Been absolutely in love with the MacBook Pro until today. First I've had a flakey ethernet problem that I swore was Road Runner but after hours of fussing with it and calls to tech support, I have now isolated it to a problem only with my MBP... which amazingly is always fixed by unplugging the cable modem and restarting it. Baffling me big time. WiFi works fine, but my hard wired connection has this weird problem.

Then tonight, I just wasted about 3 hours trying to print to my Epson R1800. Something bizarre happened to the driver where it disabled all the options and said it was imcompatible with the architecture or something. A quick googling exercise revealed that this was often caused by running Lightroom in 64 bit mode and trying to print to drivers that aren't 64 bit. Unfortunately, changing Lightroom to 32 bit didn't fix it and I had to resort to Windows-like efforts to dive into systems folders and delete what I guessed were the driver files.... then downloading and reinstalling the drivers. It took a couple of attempts and finally I can print again, but not positive what caused it.

So this was a sour apples day. Didn't mean to hi-jack your thread, but I had to vent as I just concluded this mess a few minutes ago. My wife is ticked because I've gone two nights now and not produced prints for all the collage frames she bought to impress our company coming this weekend.

TomNanos
12-12-2008, 10:00 AM
If you are putting all your images on a 1.5TB drive, PLEASE make sure you have them backed up double. It would be criminal if you lost your work and I might have to ban you from the site! (only kidding of course)

Don't worry, Mike, remember I'm paranoid about data security. I've got at least 3 copies of just about all the images that will be going onto that drive, spread across multiple media types (multiple drives & DVDs). Not saying it's foolproof, but I'm doing all I can do back up my data.

rfreschner
12-12-2008, 08:06 PM
Congrats Tom! Always nice to upgrade!

oldnavy170
12-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Always nice to get something new!!!! I would love to hear how it goes over time since I see Acer brand all the time and I am always curious how well they work.

TomNanos
12-12-2008, 10:20 PM
So far so good with the computer - overall still happy with it. One pitfall I came across with Vista though. Apparently with any of the Home editions of Vista, you can't access Dynamic volumes. Of course, one of my image disks is a dynamic volume created in XP Pro. Only way to access it directly is to either transfer it to another drive, or upgrade to Vista Ultimate. Only problem with that, is with Vista 64 bit, you need to do a clean install to upgrade to Ultimate. No thanks...

Sooooo, I get to transfer it on my XP machine, and reformat...nothing is ever easy, is it? :rolleyes:

TomNanos
12-13-2008, 12:09 AM
Woohoo!! Got all but one drive up and running on my new Vista system. But the problem one isn't the SATA dynamic drive I mentioned above (it's an EIDE drive that I need to move over the network...I don't have a spare USB enclosure). I did end up converting the dynamic volume into a basic one using this open source tool - TestDisk (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk). Pretty slick. Fire it up, select the drive, and change the partition type from Win2k Dynamic (type 0x42) to NTFS (type 0x07). Restart and it's readable! A kind of non-destructive fdisk... I guess I could have done it with a hex editor, but who wants to search for the right offset in the partition table? Especially at 10pm... :D

So as of right now, 5 of my 6 primary image storage drives are now connected to the new box (drives K:, V;, W:, Y: and Z:), the 6th is coming across the wire now (drive X:), and the 1.5TB drive has now been converted to the backup role. Figured it was easier keeping my Lightroom database the same, and keep everything on separate drives.

As it stands right now, I've got about 3TB of storage on this box!

stoneylonesome
12-14-2008, 09:09 AM
SWEET! Always nice to get a new toy, :D Of course it does come with mixed emotions, Nice on the one hand but a real pain getting everything installed. Question, I'm running Vista on my machine and I to went in and turned off the annoying 3rd degree pop-ups asking me if I wanted to download something or install this or run that, but now everytime I boot up I get a security warning pop-up in the lower right, no big deal I just click it off but it is a little annoy. my user control account is what I turned off and that's what the stupid warning keeps telling me, We DAH I know, I turned it off. Did you encounter this?

TomNanos
12-14-2008, 09:39 AM
Sandy-

Yeah, I got rid of the annoying warning balloons. Just double click the little red shield in the task tray, which brings up the Security Center window. In the left hand side, click Change the way Security Center Alerts Me. In there change the setting to either Don't Notify me and Display Icon or the one that also hides the icon.

Got just about everything working on the new box, including my Spyder colorimiter. So far, so good...

stoneylonesome
12-14-2008, 01:24 PM
Sandy-

Yeah, I got rid of the annoying warning balloons. Just double click the little red shield in the task tray, which brings up the Security Center window. In the left hand side, click Change the way Security Center Alerts Me. In there change the setting to either Don't Notify me and Display Icon or the one that also hides the icon.

Got just about everything working on the new box, including my Spyder colorimiter. So far, so good...

Thanks Tom. I really had no problems with my software and Vista, except for one program, and it was old and I never use it anymore so no loss.