PDA

View Full Version : Extract Jpeg from Raw file

zacker
10-22-2008, 01:24 PM
So supposedly you can extract the Jpeg thats hiding in each RAW file.. so instead of shooting RAW plus JPEG you can click on the RAW and be shown a JPEG version, (i take it its the same JPEG thats displayed on your cams LCD screen during playback) so i just DL the program i will tell you if it works.

The link to the download is here http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/2008/archives/2027 maybe halfway down the article.

zacker
10-22-2008, 01:48 PM
ok so i installed it but still cant see jpegs from raws.. lol ill go look into this problem.

zacker
10-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Ahh it works and it works good, no more shooting RAW + Jpeg..lol what you do is right click the raw, and when the menue pops up you click on the Extract Jpeg and it throws a jpeg into its own folder, so you can select multiple raws and open all the Jpegs into a seperate folder to view em.. not as good as the old Microsoft raw thumbnail viewer but this works for me. I believe it works for most RAW formats too.

nvr2low
10-22-2008, 08:19 PM
sounds like too much work, i will stick with lightroom, it handels raw just fine.

zacker
10-22-2008, 09:29 PM
sounds like too much work, i will stick with lightroom, it handels raw just fine.

Ahhh but its not... lightroom is an edtor, this is just a viewer.. when you shhot raw and download, you have no preview of the shots, no thumbnail view when you look in the folder.. unless you open bridge or lightroom, wait for all the folders to pop up then navigate to the correct folder.. with this, you right click the folder thats on the desktop, click on instant raw extraction, then youll get all thumbs of the raw files, only in jpeg form.. now you know what raw is what so you can edit the ones you want to. just as if you shot raw + jpeg then down loaded them to your desktop..

oldnavy170
10-22-2008, 10:11 PM
I was shooting RAW and JPG myself put then I was draining my card. I think this is a great idea.

convergent
10-22-2008, 10:42 PM
I'm not sure if you really need this. A lot of viewers are able to read the imbedded JPEGs directly from within the RAW files... so no need to extract. The thing is, that the JPEG you create with RAW+JPEG is a good file that is capable of being used for final copy if you wish. The embedded JPEG is just a thumbnail file... much, much smaller than the one you get with RAW+JPEG.

But if it works for you... that's great. Different strokes for different folks.

My problem with RAW+JPEG is a bit different. I am quite happy with the JPEG files my Mark III produces and since I use Lightroom, I've decided to see if I can shift to RAW. Well the images I end up with after the RAW conversion never loook anywhere near as good as what I get from shooting JPEG. Dang proprietary things drive me crazy.

nvr2low
10-23-2008, 07:20 AM
hmm, i usually just import every thing into lightroom then decide what to edit as i go through the folder there. i think it works better for me that way.

zacker
10-23-2008, 07:32 AM
it could be me... everytime i try a raw viewer, when i open the program, it searches my HD for files and takes forever, then it wants to open all of them.. the reason i like this is right click a folder of raws, convert it and stick the resulting jpegs in with the raws and now i have the raw file with a jpeg file next to it.. both now i can look at each pic and decide which ones i want to work with. Like Mike said, different strokes. I used to love the Microsoft raw thumb viewer but it doesnt work with the 30D's raw files... it only worked with my Pro1..

*Edit.. WOW reading this over again, it looks like a crazy person wrote it.. Sorry*

convergent
10-23-2008, 08:07 AM
hmm, i usually just import every thing into lightroom then decide what to edit as i go through the folder there. i think it works better for me that way.

You're saying you see the RAW and JPEG files separately in Lightroom? For me, it always stacks them and takes the RAW file to work with.

stoneylonesome
10-23-2008, 09:13 AM
I know Zoombrowser (it's free and it came on your Canon disk) works great for viewing RAW files and you can then drag and drop them right into your photo editor or programs like photomatix, it's what I use when I want to do some tone mapping on a single RAW photo. Not sure if it will recognize Nikon or other than Canan RAW files though.

nvr2low
10-23-2008, 09:45 AM
You're saying you see the RAW and JPEG files separately in Lightroom? For me, it always stacks them and takes the RAW file to work with.

i only shoot raw so im guessing that is what i am seeing until i export it to jpg. i guess it could be the extracted jpg that im actually looking at but at this point i havent converted to jpg so i assumed it was the raw file.

convergent
10-23-2008, 10:01 AM
Yeh, well what I'm saying I guess is that I much, much prefer the in-camera conversion to JPEG vs. what Lightroom does. I believe the only way to get that proprietary conversion is to either shoot JPEG, OR, use Digital Photo Pro for the RAW conversion, and then take those to edit... in which case you are largely defeating the purpose and killing the workflow. Maybe one day the manufacturers will get of this proprietary kick and develop a real industry standard for RAW that everyone can use consistently.

nvr2low
10-23-2008, 10:58 AM
i haven't really tried comparing the two, maybe i should do that sometime.