PDA

View Full Version : Big Rebates on Sandisk at Adorama!

rfreschner
09-29-2008, 10:41 PM
The more you buy, the more you save! For once, this appears to be true. I just ordered 3 Sandisk Extreme III 8GB CF cards from Adorama for $170.85 with free shipping. The rebate for 3 of these cards is $160 so I'll end up paying a total of $10.85 for the cards!! :D

Sure you have to submit the rebates and you get the money back in the form of a Visa gift card, but I can handle that for this kind of deal. Here's a link to the rebate form:

http://www.adorama.com/pdfs/rebates/sandiskx_101108.pdf

You don't have to buy the cards from Adorama, but they really have great prices on them right now.

convergent
09-29-2008, 10:58 PM
Yeh, I've got those rebate forms laying here and need to do something... it expires tomorrow or something, right?

convergent
09-29-2008, 11:00 PM
That's odd, I have a printed out rebate form that is identical to the one you linked to, except that my expiration date was 9/28, and yours is 10/15.... same Promotion Number. Odd.

rfreschner
09-29-2008, 11:00 PM
I think you have until November to submit them, but purchases have to be made by 10/11/08.

rfreschner
09-29-2008, 11:11 PM
That's odd, I have a printed out rebate form that is identical to the one you linked to, except that my expiration date was 9/28, and yours is 10/15.... same Promotion Number. Odd.

Yes, very strange.

convergent
09-29-2008, 11:14 PM
Well that is a crazy price. That's way cheaper than NewEgg who is always cheapest. I just pulled the trigger on 3 of these too. Other than a single 2GB card, I've got all 1GB cards and its killing me if I every shoot RAW on the Mark III. Its only going to get worse. The odd thing is my total was $179.85 with free shipping and no tax. I LOVE NOT LIVING IN NY! I wonder why you were $10 less. I'm not complaining... $10 or $20 for 3 x 8GB card is insane. I'm betting this will be a pain in the butt rebate to process since its so much.

rfreschner
09-29-2008, 11:20 PM
And, you got the exact cards I did?

IDSCFE38G30M SanDisk 8 GB Extreme III Compact Flash M 3 56.95 170.85

Even stranger still.....

How can you beat that price though? I'm buying in anticipation of the new body I'll be picking up in a month or so. Leaning towards the 5D mk II, but may opt for the 50D instead. Either way, I'll have plenty of memory.

slappy sam
09-30-2008, 01:02 AM
Actually Mike, if you got these from adorama, I believe that the 20x version of the extreme III (apparently there are now two speeds for this card, news to me...) is more expensive, marginally, than the 30x version. However, the 30x version might have been sold out already.

Yeah, either way this deal is like robbery. It's crazy.

nvr2low
09-30-2008, 07:20 AM
its a good deal, but i need cash more than a visa gift card so im going to pass on this one even though 2 or 3 8G cards would be nice.

convergent
09-30-2008, 08:00 AM
Actually Mike, if you got these from adorama, I believe that the 20x version of the extreme III (apparently there are now two speeds for this card, news to me...) is more expensive, marginally, than the 30x version. However, the 30x version might have been sold out already.

Yeah, either way this deal is like robbery. It's crazy.

Dang, I feel like an idiot. I didn't know there were actually THREE versions of the Extreme III cards. The less expensive ones are 50% faster!!! than the ones I ordered. Its not 30X though... its 30MB. The 9MB Extreme II is listed as 60X, so that would make the 20MB that I ordered about 130X and the other ones that are cheaper about 160X. They also have an Extreme III "Ducati Edition" that is 45MB, but they are a little more. I may give them a call today and see if I can change my order to the 30MB since its a little cheaper. If not, I'm not going to worry about it because the Mark III has such a huge buffer... but it would speed up the load times a bit. Oh well.

rfreschner
09-30-2008, 08:48 AM
It's hard to keep track of these, there seem to be so many variations of them. They also vary from batch to batch.

convergent
09-30-2008, 09:41 AM
Yep... I used to work in a semiconductor plant... in test engineering for memory chips. There is one recipe... and depending on what test they pass they are assigned a part number. The faster part numbers "usually" sell for a higher price. As the life cycle of a product line increases, the yield will get better and better as the manufacturing process is refined... resulting in more of the faster parts, and fewer of the slower parts. Usually the lower priced parts sell at a higher volume, so in order to meet supply and demand the manufacturer will often substitute faster chips for the slower part numbers ... especially as the product line has become more mature. So its very likely that there is no difference between these cards that we are talking about.... and if there is a difference, its probably not anything you noticed in daily use.

rfreschner
09-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Yeah, I'm sure it's not going to be anything I'll notice, especially since I'm not a sports shooter. And, considering I'm paying $11 for 24GB of storage when a 64MB card for my first digital camera cost me $100, this is a steal.

convergent
10-06-2008, 04:06 PM
This is pretty funny... the ones I got are the 30MB/s or 200x. So they shipped you and me the same thing, but charged me $10 more... Haha. I'm not going to complain... the total price is still under $20 for 3 x 8G cards.

rfreschner
10-06-2008, 04:57 PM
Are yours on backorder also?

convergent
10-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Are yours on backorder also?

No, I just received them an hour ago by US Postal Service. Yours are on backorder?

rfreschner
10-06-2008, 10:26 PM
They were until today. I got the notice tonight that they shipped.

convergent
10-06-2008, 10:34 PM
They were until today. I got the notice tonight that they shipped.

Seems like Adorama has some issues. I ordered mine after you did, and I ordered the 20MB versions which would cost me $10 more than you. Rather than shipping the 30MB versions to you that you ordered, they shipped them to me instead of the 20MB version that I actually ordered (unintentionally). So they must have substituted the 30MB for the 20MB because I'm guessing that Sandisk doesn't make them anymore.

Go figure. I ordered after you too, and I picked the cheapest and slowest shipping... AND I live farther away in NC.

I'm glad it looks like yours are shipping now.

slappy sam
10-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Oh yeah, I meant 30/20 mb/s not X. Duhh

rfreschner
10-06-2008, 11:12 PM
Sometimes, it's hard to figure these places out when it comes to their shipping. But, no big deal on the delay, as I don't need the cards right now anyway.

zacker
10-07-2008, 07:38 AM
This is pretty funny... the ones I got are the 30MB/s or 200x. So they shipped you and me the same thing, but charged me $10 more... Haha. I'm not going to complain... the total price is still under $20 for 3 x 8G cards.

thats what you get for moving down south...:not :D :D