PDA

View Full Version : no internet, please help!!

zacker
09-21-2008, 10:42 AM
so my comp was crawling along and running really slow, i tried all the fixes and none seemed to help i then looked at recent changes and there it was... XP SP3.. 4+ gigs of HD space gone to this upgrade.. so i decided to remove it.. I followed the removal instructions on the web sirte and removed it without a hitch but.... now IE7 is dead.. i can get onto my home page fine, i can also click and open any link in my home page like news or weather... but i cant browse or open any of my faves and i cannot teven type in the search box.. in order to visit a web page i have to go into internet options and type the url in as my homepage then exit and re stare IE7.. lol anyone got a fix?

im on my laptop now also with SP3 and its like a corpse but its still got internet..

Orgnoi1
09-21-2008, 10:46 AM
hmmm thats a tough one... I know that Microsoft always has issues with back installing stuff... maybe do a search for updates and see if theres any IE7 updates you can get without getting the SP3...

convergent
09-21-2008, 11:37 AM
I think your only choices are to reinstall the SP, or reinstall the OS. There is a "repair" installation you can try too... running from the install disk. IE7 is part of the OS, so no separating it out. Have you tried running Firefox?

Irishpub3
09-21-2008, 01:04 PM
I don't have any advice (and if I did, it would probably screw things up worse! lol)... but I can feel sorry for you! :( :D Good luck fixin it back up!

zacker
09-21-2008, 01:12 PM
got it... lol i made the MS updates page my "home page" then i was able to navagate right to the IE8 download page but when i clicked on download, i just got a blank stare from my moniter..lol so i did what any red blooded american would do on a great, sunny sunday at 11:30 am.. i right clicked it and clicked on "Save target as" and it let me save it to my desktop and i was able to open it from there and download.. do NOT DL xp service pack 3 its nothing but trouble!! lol now to kill it off my laptop!!

convergent
09-21-2008, 02:07 PM
Hmmm... I installed SP3 a couple weeks ago I think and its been fine. Must be something else conflicting.

Orgnoi1
09-21-2008, 02:45 PM
Same here... I have SP3 on two machines... and its been running ok... sounds like something you had before the install is conflicting with the newer install..

stoneylonesome
09-21-2008, 03:20 PM
Damn microsoft, guess that's why Bill Hired Seinfeld to do his adds, That's it, it's the Kramer/Costanza virus. :D :D

zacker
09-21-2008, 10:03 PM
Seinfeld.... I knew it!!!!

J.W.
09-22-2008, 09:46 AM
i dont know if it was sp3 but awhile back my comp did an automatic update and i couldnt get on the internet at all.

KDN
09-22-2008, 12:19 PM
LOL and I thought Vista was going to cause me troubles :P Glad you got it working Zacker!

zacker
09-22-2008, 05:58 PM
I only had the Internet trouble after uninstalling SP3..i think it removed some of IE7 with it..so i had to DL IE* and re load it, im glad i did because the last thing I wanted to do was a windows reload!!! In my search for an answere to this problem I came across bad story after bad story of things going wrong after installing SP3 but nothing about uninstalling it... lol