PDA

View Full Version : Waterfall Photo

applerdkennels
09-06-2008, 09:19 AM
My daughter and I went out yesterday planning some photo's of waterfalls.
I have some questions now that I have tried to "plan" the shot and use the hopefully correct settings. (I could have been way off on this too...but I am trying)
Ok.
I used the TV setting and "according" to my camera set the shutter speed to match the F-Stop. (stopped when the f-stop stopped flashing) I went in both directions...one creating the "blur" and the other stopping action.

I used a tripod...which I think just proved to me I need a better one. (I own two) and I don't have a remote shutter switch yet (it's in the mail), so I used a delayed timer.

I will post two pictures....one on each end of the settings.

I did not do any PP.
There is a rainbow in this spot...you can see it in one better than the other.

I was not happy with these photo's. My biggest question is in the shot is about when you slow down the shutter speed to get the "blur", the brush around it blurs also. Is this because of wind? or is there another reason?

Any help and advise would be appreciated.

http://www.northeastfoto.com/gallery/files/1/9/6/0/IMG_82882.JPG

http://www.northeastfoto.com/gallery/files/1/9/6/0/img_82872.jpg

zacker
09-06-2008, 09:21 AM
very nice...!! good job.

Orgnoi1
09-06-2008, 10:26 AM
My daughter and I went out yesterday planning some photo's of waterfalls.
I have some questions now that I have tried to "plan" the shot and use the hopefully correct settings. (I could have been way off on this too...but I am trying)
Ok.
I used the TV setting and "according" to my camera set the shutter speed to match the F-Stop. (stopped when the f-stop stopped flashing) I went in both directions...one creating the "blur" and the other stopping action.

I used a tripod...which I think just proved to me I need a better one. (I own two) and I don't have a remote shutter switch yet (it's in the mail), so I used a delayed timer.

I will post two pictures....one on each end of the settings.

I did not do any PP.
There is a rainbow in this spot...you can see it in one better than the other.

I was not happy with these photo's. My biggest question is in the shot is about when you slow down the shutter speed to get the "blur", the brush around it blurs also. Is this because of wind? or is there another reason?

Any help and advise would be appreciated.

The brush is blurred because of exactly what you said... add the wind to a extended time with the shutter open... thats what gives you the water moving as well as anything else that moves in the shot will be blurred.

Now on to add a few things about long exposure shots for you... shooting in the daylight often is hard to get a ton of motion blur because of the daylight vs. camera capabilities... even with a camera that does ISO50 (some high end cameras do) it wont allow for enough blur... so what you can do is add darkness to the shot by using ND filters and/or a polarizing filter... by doing that you can add to the critical time needed to get a shot with more motion of the water.... and if you are having trouble with foreground objects being in the way and having motion the way to go is to recompose the shot to a location where you may sacrifice a little bit in shot IQ but so that your shot wont have the objects in it that are causing in your opinion to be detrimental to the overall IQ...

Hope that helps!

NYracefan
09-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Have to agree on the filters. I actually use a ND and PL filter, and stack them on top of each other.........the darker you can make it the lower you can go with the shutter. An overcast day is your friend.

The first shot is actually not bad at all, and good for a first time try. Seemed like it took me forever to get the falls shots figured out.

lrp12196
09-07-2008, 04:42 PM
I personally for this shot, like the blur of the first over the stopped motion of the second. That said, stop motion is one of my favorite things to practice! :D What I would have liked to see in this shot is more of the waterfall. Was it high? Or just a short one? If it were high, I would have recomposed the shot to include more of the height to convey the sensation of water rushing downwards, kwim? And less of the brush in the front, which really doesn't add much to the shot since your primary focus was to capture the water.

Nice shot though! And I love comparing the 2.

applerdkennels
09-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Thank you all for your advise.
I had may daughter read the post also and we will go and try again. Using all of the advise given.
I have filters, we will keep the "brush" out of the photo and we will try to get more veriticle. (We did get more veriticle is some of the others we took...in this one I was trying to get the RAINBOW.)
Thank you all again.

kdenkers
09-24-2008, 10:35 AM
For daytime waterfall photos I most definitely use filters, UV and a polarize and if I have to, a natural density(I have only used that once). The first one is my fav out of the two though.. great work.

Keep working at it.. A cloudy day is the best day to go out.. this weekend (sunday) would be perfect!

applerdkennels
09-24-2008, 12:47 PM
Thank you all!
Sunday will not work for us as we will be at the Belchertown Fair.
4-H RABBIT & Poultry SHOW
But, Yes, we need to get out there and do some waterfall shots.
Now that Ross and Trish have me even more "hooked on MACRO" I've forgotten to get out there to reshoot.

kdenkers
09-24-2008, 12:59 PM
Another cloudy day then :) Saturday might work if you are somewhere where its not supposed to rain to much.

StudioCMC
09-24-2008, 08:15 PM
Great shot,

Water shots that blur has what is called a "Cotton Candy" effect, and to be clear on the Daylight part.. The DIRECT SUN on the falls is where the need for the UV filter is coming from as the Water is sparkling as the sun strikes the water droplets.
That is casting back to your camera, and your losing your rainbow with that.

As Ross pointed out the Wind is moving the trees, thus, they two are going to show as a blur, as the water is.

Running water even in a stream for a long exposure time will cause this, in order to better control your shots, switch to manual, and set it for 8 to 30 seconds as an experiment.

And since were just expereimenting, you can use your garden hose, simply set up your camera, and focus on the water, shoot short shutter speeds to get the water as is if its frozen in time, then set for LONGER exposure times to get the Cotton Candy effect of motion.

To further get razor sharp with this concept, is to set your camera up at night, near a busy road, and do night blur (streaks) to get the same effects as the water shots.

Great starting work, Water is a very difficult thing to shoot, when you go artistic with it. ;)

Chris