PDA

View Full Version : Head shot for critque...

twoshadows
08-24-2008, 02:03 PM
How'd I do? :)

http://www.pbase.com/iangreyphotography/image/102115723/original.jpg

This was taken outside, in the shade, with a off-board 580exII adding fill light.

Thanks in advance for your insights. :)

oldnavy170
08-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Its a nice portrait. I like it in black and white too. I would recommend for the guy to shave the five o'clock shadow though.....LOL ;)

JerseyMutt
08-24-2008, 02:14 PM
I always feel a bit weird critiquing someone who is light years ahead of me in photography, but I'll do my best to provide some things that might (IMO) make the shot a little stronger.

First though what is good. The lighting and the tones are outstanding as are the detail/clarity.

The only thing I might have done different is to give the subject a little more breathing room in the photo. For me the crop is a little too tight (I do understand that's a very subjective thing though). Leaving a little bit of room might also allow you to move the subject a little more out of "center".

I want to reiterate though that I really do like this photo Ian (as I do just about all of your photos...especially your street candids).

twoshadows
08-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Thanks, Jamie. Yeah, the 5 o'clock shadow thing; I've noticed that it doesn't take much for it to show up in photos. He really didn't look as bad as the pic makes him look, but hey, he's a drummer :D .

JUMPquick
08-24-2008, 02:36 PM
I like it... (even with the 5 o'clock shadow)... but I agree with Tommy, that's one tight crop!

twoshadows
08-24-2008, 02:39 PM
I always feel a bit weird critiquing someone who is light years ahead of me in photoraphy, but I'll do my best to provide some things that might (IMO) make the shot a little stronger.

First though what is good. The lighting and the tones are outstanding as are the detail/clarity.

The only thing I might have done different is to give the subject a little more breathing room in the photo. For me the crop is a little too tight (I do understand that's a very subjective thing though). Leaving a little bit of room might also allow you to move the subject a little more out of "center".

I want to reiterate though that I really do like this photo Ian (as I do just about all of your photos...especially your street candids).

Tommy,

You are too kind :) . Thank you for your good words. You are also right - I shot this too tight. I wasn't thinking about having to crop to 8x10 when the shot was taken so I goofed up there. We were wrapping up the sitting when he gave me a look that I couldn't resist so I said "don't move", backed off a few steps (not enough) and snapped off the shot. He's got great eyes and this shot really shows them off. Here's the shot right before this one:

http://www.pbase.com/iangreyphotography/image/102117459/original.jpg

I was going for a more pensive look in this one ;) . I wish I had the room in the first one that I have in the one above. But what are ya gonna do? :)

JerseyMutt
08-24-2008, 03:19 PM
I wish I had the room in the first one that I have in the one above. But what are ya gonna do? :)

You're absolutely right. Sometimes you just have to get the shot when you can with what you can. ;)

nvr2low
08-24-2008, 09:12 PM
i think its a great shot, a little tight, but honestly i like it. the tight crop is very in your face, no distractions.

twoshadows
08-25-2008, 02:33 AM
Thanks Everyone! The Satellite went down for 10 hours so I'm just now seeing most of your comments. I had time to reprocess the pic AND add to it. Here's the new version:

http://www.pbase.com/iangreyphotography/image/102150381/original.jpg

zacker
08-25-2008, 08:30 AM
just the top is a bit too close for me but i dont think the over all crop is too tight but, thats just me. its a great shot Ian, nice and natural looking. he looks relaxed and the shot looks "loose" like it was taken just off the cuff and both you and he were just haveing fun... great job on the lighting also, looks very natural like no flash was used.

oldnavy170
08-25-2008, 07:38 PM
Yes, I like the second version!!!!! It reminds me of a Senior photo now!!!! Nice job Ian!!!!

twoshadows
08-26-2008, 10:48 PM
Yes, I like the second version!!!!! It reminds me of a Senior photo now!!!! Nice job Ian!!!!

I tweaked the new version by cloning out the branches behind his head. Thanks Jamie! :D

http://www.pbase.com/iangreyphotography/image/102246061/original.jpg