PDA

View Full Version : Geekdom Part 3 - Up N Running!

Orgnoi1
07-28-2008, 07:56 AM
We got the gaming room up and running at 100% last night! The server is installed and cat 5 is running under the floor to 2-port boxes at every station for a total of 4 stations and 8 connections! I will take some pics tonight for everyone! When we have our photo shoots at the house people will be able to process their shots on site if needed!!!

Irishpub3
07-28-2008, 09:36 AM
You forgot the part about the house vibrating and the sound of thunder coming through the walls :D

Orgnoi1
07-28-2008, 10:34 AM
LOL yup... 3 of the 4 computers have bass boxes.... so it gives you a nice real feeling when you are in there racing...LOL

JerseyMutt
07-28-2008, 11:20 AM
Any pictars of the setup?

convergent
07-28-2008, 11:39 AM
We might have to swap titles if you keep this up.

Orgnoi1
07-28-2008, 11:41 AM
Any pictars of the setup?

Gonna hook up some pics tonight during our gaming night.... =) :thumb

Orgnoi1
07-28-2008, 11:44 AM
We might have to swap titles if you keep this up.

LOL I know right? Really this is just a smaller and more exact version of what we had before... no other storage going on at all... we are going to have our office on the same switch as well as Johnny having his computer up on it too... without any outside computers being brought in our limitation inhouse for gaming will go from 4 to 7 computers set up and running.... =)

This is also going to help us when we do any photo shoots at the house as people can sit down and look at their pictures on a few of the computers... ;)

convergent
07-28-2008, 12:56 PM
It is going to take me some time to get our new house setup. I had a GigaE network running all over the house with a couple of small switches on each floor. At this point here, I have only a couple of rooms on the 2nd floor wired. I need to find a way to get cables from upstairs to down in the crawl space, and then run back up to the first floor locations.

J.W.
07-28-2008, 12:59 PM
sounds awesome.

is the office set up yet?

Orgnoi1
07-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Nope the office isnt... we ran out of time on the wiring... we are going to continue the office and Johnnys room this coming sunday...We ate up a lot of time rewiring the coax in the house... it had a total of 4 splitters (3 service splitters and one cable/RR splitter)... which we cut down to 1 4way and one cable/RR...

Orgnoi1
07-28-2008, 07:53 PM
Here we go in all its glory! I am adding two shots of the office space too even though its FAR from done...

Orgnoi1
07-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Heres the two of the office and the raildriver rail simulator...

oldnavy170
07-28-2008, 08:01 PM
Hey don't worry Trish and Ross........we have lived in our house for 1 year and its still not done! :)

nvr2low
07-28-2008, 09:10 PM
Hey don't worry Trish and Ross........we have lived in our house for 1 year and its still not done! :)

2+ years for me and we have barley started. stupid mortgage wont alow for me to pay for home improvement projects.

Orgnoi1
07-29-2008, 06:48 AM
2+ years for me and we have barley started. stupid mortgage wont alow for me to pay for home improvement projects.

I hear ya there... gonna be in the same boat in a number of days (hopefully not) as our contract ends at work... and theres the rumor of a strike...

convergent
07-29-2008, 08:39 AM
So where is the model railroad layout going?

I think you have me on the geek award for this place. My wife would kill me if I had all that stuff setup in our house. My office is crawling with stuff, and then we are going to setup a couple of computers for gaming in the bonus room and another computer eventually in the kitchen at the built-in desk.

How is the cooling working out for you. This is the first time in a long while that my office hasn't been in the basement (we don't have a basement now) and I've found that I'm having problems with the room getting too warm. I end up with the ceiling fan going and another floor fan trying to get the hot air out of the office. from several computers, and you have a lot more stuff than I do. About the only thing different is this 30" LCD which throws off a TON of heat.

Orgnoi1
07-29-2008, 09:13 AM
So where is the model railroad layout going?

How is the cooling working out for you. This is the first time in a long while that my office hasn't been in the basement (we don't have a basement now) and I've found that I'm having problems with the room getting too warm. I end up with the ceiling fan going and another floor fan trying to get the hot air out of the office. from several computers, and you have a lot more stuff than I do. About the only thing different is this 30" LCD which throws off a TON of heat.

No room for a layout unfortunately....

We installed an AC unit in the window... but its not sitting correctly... its canted in... and we get water in after a while... but for now thats how its going to go... that and turning off ALL unused gear when we arent gaming to conserve energy and heat....

I was thinking about a free standing AC but we may be on strike come saturday night... so cant spend anymore cash right now...

JerseyMutt
07-29-2008, 09:15 AM
The setup looks slick Ross! I shouldn't be suprised that you have the Raildriver. I would love to get one of those one day.

Orgnoi1
07-29-2008, 09:22 AM
The raildriver was a christmas gift from my hunny... and I absolutely love it... I really never had time to use it till lately... but I am addicted now...

nvr2low
07-29-2008, 10:26 AM
The raildriver was a christmas gift from my hunny... and I absolutely love it... I really never had time to use it till lately... but I am addicted now...

so is this a rail simulator on the pc or a controller for a model system? i have never heard of it.

Orgnoi1
07-29-2008, 10:31 AM
its a controller for Microsofts Railsim... its got its own separate program that starts up the rail sim with the controller... everything is real time... its an awesome controller...

nvr2low
07-29-2008, 10:59 AM
so what do you do, control a train? i dont know anything about driving a train so it seams to me all you would be doing is staring at a fake window and making it accelerate and slow down. is there a lot more to it than that? just curious, i have never heard of a train simulator before.

Orgnoi1
07-29-2008, 11:08 AM
http://www.microsoft.com/games/pc/trainsim.aspx

Its actually a LOT harder than you think... you can just drive around if you choose... or you can do some of the preplanned exercises they have... you can also buy and update your train sim...

nvr2low
07-29-2008, 11:15 AM
interesting, i have always wanted to play around with a flight sim but have never had a computer that could handle a good one.

zacker
07-29-2008, 12:30 PM
We installed an AC unit in the window... but its not sitting correctly... its canted in... and we get water in after a while... put a small piece of wood unde the front of the unit to tilt it back, thats what i do, you can even get fancy and cut it to fit exactly perfect.. lol

Orgnoi1
07-29-2008, 01:01 PM
put a small piece of wood unde the front of the unit to tilt it back, thats what i do, you can even get fancy and cut it to fit exactly perfect.. lol

interesting idea...