PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Version of the Site?

JUMPquick
07-18-2008, 10:36 AM
I know there are a few of us who have at least fairly advanced mobile devices with good web-browsing capability.

:ideaIs there any functionality available with VB Advanced to have a mobile version of the site?

convergent
07-18-2008, 03:34 PM
Hi Jenn,

There is the possibility of loading a mobile skin for vBulletin, but I have not done so because of the inherent high bandwidth nature of a photography forum. It would likely be cumbersome at best to deal with any threads that have images posted. I need to update the vBulletin script soon and I can look into it. If anything, it would be a generic plain skin that was very limited. I don't think there is enough demand for this to warrant investing in having our designer create a mobile skin to match the NEF style. I had one done for PDAPhoneHome and it cost the same as the main skin to develop. But, I'll listen if I'm wrong on this.

oldnavy170
07-18-2008, 05:24 PM
I don't have any mobile device to I'm good..... :)

JUMPquick
07-18-2008, 11:20 PM
Yeah, I thought of the whole...well you wouldn't really be able to check out the pics from a phone thing... after I posed the question...

My thinking was... there's a lot of general discussion to jump in on that doesn't always require a photo...

Guess I'm the minority... :)

Hi Jenn,

There is the possibility of loading a mobile skin for vBulletin, but I have not done so because of the inherent high bandwidth nature of a photography forum. It would likely be cumbersome at best to deal with any threads that have images posted. I need to update the vBulletin script soon and I can look into it. If anything, it would be a generic plain skin that was very limited. I don't think there is enough demand for this to warrant investing in having our designer create a mobile skin to match the NEF style. I had one done for PDAPhoneHome and it cost the same as the main skin to develop. But, I'll listen if I'm wrong on this.

Orgnoi1
07-19-2008, 06:52 AM
I may use a mobile site...but maybe if theres an option to remove all images... and just leave the skin super basic so as to not take any time or money to emplement... just a thought...

convergent
07-19-2008, 07:22 AM
Whenever I get to upgrading the script, I'll see about a generic mobile skin if there is one available.

JayVig
07-19-2008, 08:01 AM
I would be interested in it since I'm on this site from a mobile device probably 65% of the time. But it's a hassle and a huge effort so no worries if you don't get it done. Mobile Safari is just like full safari so everything loads for me in the normal style anyway.

chefdave
08-23-2008, 04:34 PM
I've been to this site on my smart phone it's ok so, no worries from me.