PDA

View Full Version : New computer up and running...

twoshadows
07-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Hi Everyone,

Finally, the new computer is running at 95% capacity. I still need to get the backup drive to cooperate, but I will :) . As it turns out this is a 64 bit processing system (as opposed to 32 bit) and as such will not support some software. For others, it requires special drivers. So, three days after opening the box I finally have the system near full operating capacity.

I can say this machine is fast (and I have a plan to make it faster, he he he :D ). My old machine it took about 2 minutes to start PSCS. Now it takes about 12 seconds :D . To process a pic in Capture One 4 it used to take over 30 seconds, now it takes about 4. I haven't had the oportunity to do any real batch processing, but I'm looking forward to it :D .

I managed to forget to transfer all of my homemade actions for PS from my old system; had to fix (at least temporarily, lol) my old LaCie monitor and start up the old system to rescue those files. I'd be lost without those actions (I'd have to write them all again, Ugh!).

Vista has not been nearly as big a problem as switching over to a 64 bit processing system. Fortunately, PTLens, PTGui, Photomatix Pro, Noise Ninja and Capture One 4 all work with this system :D . My LinkSys wireless does not however, so I had to hard wire the computer to the router upstairs. In the end the wired connection seems more reliable than the wireless, so bully for me :) .

I've missed you all this last week! I've been working for the paper a lot lately, which has precluded my spending much time on line. Hope you all are well!

zacker
07-14-2008, 02:49 PM
Thats great to Hear...glad its working for ya! Sounds like a sweet machine, I wish I had a faster comp... I keep running out of Memory if i do too many pics in PS at one sitting.. i have to reboot and start again.. lol!

nvr2low
07-14-2008, 03:10 PM
congrats on the new system, wish i could afford to do the same.

JayVig
07-14-2008, 03:11 PM
Awesome. Sounds like a decent machine. I'm not a big fan of vista though but as long as it works for you. I've had it with Microsoft altogether and finally had the stones to make the switch.

I have a ton of actions if you need some also. I don't recall the link but I have them stored on a webserver somewhere.

oldnavy170
07-14-2008, 06:59 PM
There is nothing worse then switching over computers. I had to do it back in April and I still find missing files. Its still fun to get a new computer though.

twoshadows
07-15-2008, 11:40 AM
Thats great to Hear...glad its working for ya! Sounds like a sweet machine, I wish I had a faster comp... I keep running out of Memory if i do too many pics in PS at one sitting.. i have to reboot and start again.. lol!

Man, Zacker, that sounds like a real PITA. There might be a $30 solution to your problem - I don't know the exact name of the drive, but my buddy does - in the form of a jump drive that acts as RAM. All you have to do is plug it into a USB port. I believe they come in 8GB for around $30 :D . I'll let you know as soon as I find out.

twoshadows
07-15-2008, 11:45 AM
congrats on the new system, wish i could afford to do the same.

Thanks, D. :D I really couldn't afford not to. The system was getting too old and too slow to handle another school year :( . That's another 3k-4k files and a lot of batch work. If the thing gave up in the middle of it all I'd be sol.

twoshadows
07-15-2008, 11:49 AM
Awesome. Sounds like a decent machine. I'm not a big fan of vista though but as long as it works for you. I've had it with Microsoft altogether and finally had the stones to make the switch.

I have a ton of actions if you need some also. I don't recall the link but I have them stored on a webserver somewhere.

I WISH I could afford a Mac. I used to work for Apple (in another life) and I learned just how much better Macs really are.

Thanks on the actions. I'll let you know :) .

twoshadows
07-15-2008, 11:50 AM
There is nothing worse then switching over computers. I had to do it back in April and I still find missing files. Its still fun to get a new computer though.

You're right, Jamie. It IS fun to get a new computer and now that I've got most of the bugs worked out, I'm starting to enjoy it :D .

zacker
07-15-2008, 11:53 AM
Man, Zacker, that sounds like a real PITA. There might be a $30 solution to your problem - I don't know the exact name of the drive, but my buddy does - in the form of a jump drive that acts as RAM. All you have to do is plug it into a USB port. I believe they come in 8GB for around $30 :D . I'll let you know as soon as I find out.

Now THAT would be awesome... Thanks Ian!

twoshadows
07-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Z,

They're pen (or jump) drives and they are "Ready Boost" enabled. My buddy got his on sale, but they're about $10 per gig. So an 8 gig pen drive w/Ready Boost is just under $80 (at best buy/staples). Apparently you just plug it into a USB port and it will act as RAM - not sure how that works, but my buddy said it was very simple. Hope this helps.

zacker
07-15-2008, 12:36 PM
cool.... thanks, i will go check em out!

convergent
07-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Sounds like you are off to the races. One thing to consider on the speed difference is that my experience is that Windows machines slow way down over time, so part of the extreme performance difference may slide over time. Never found a good way to fix that short of reloading the OS from scratch, which I never wanted to do.

Funny you mentioned WiFi problems. My daughter's Lenovo laptop with Vista has been plagued with WiFi problems since day one. She will come home from college sometimes and it will work fine at our house, and then the next visit... no amount of work by me would get it to work. Nothing changed in the house. Sometimes she had the same problem at college... just constant issues with it. You are wise to ditch WiFi for a machine you are using for imaging. I went to GigaE in my home/office a while back and it makes a world of difference. I keep all my images on a GigaE enabled NAS and so I can access them from any of my computers (home, office, laptop) at good speed. Nothing more frustrating than trying to open a folder of images and having to wait minutes rather than seconds for it to catch up.