PDA

View Full Version : Mac Users

JayVig
07-12-2008, 03:45 PM
Who here uses a Mac? I know Mike just got one. Anyone else use one or have one? Especially something relatively new.

This iPhone 3G thing has me looking to transition full time to Apple products. I'm on the fence about doing it and not sure about models. I like several for different reasons, so if anyone has any guidance, I'd appreciate it.

oldnavy170
07-12-2008, 07:51 PM
I hear amazing things about Mac's. I have never had one myself but they are known to be the best for photographer (or graphic design).

JerseyMutt
07-12-2008, 08:28 PM
To piggy back off of Jay, I'm interested in doing the same (although my timeline would be behind his) so any info would definitely be helpful.

convergent
07-12-2008, 10:04 PM
I am very familiar with the new products, although I bought a used PowerMac dual G5... what are you looking for? desktop or laptop?

Apple has some odd thinking in their product lines that leaves big holes where most people want to buy. This is what led me to get a used machine. It has been fine and I paid about half the price of a new one. The only downside is there are a few applications starting to hit the market that only work on Intel based Macs, so they won't work on my machine.

You can run Windows apps on Macs, but I am not doing any of that. I figured if I was going to do this I'd convert everything to Mac. I migrated all my Outlook mail to Mac Mail. My office documents are still fine because I have Microsoft Office for Mac on here. Lightroom and Photoshop are the same on Mac as Windows. And I have started using Firefox for a browser. If you let me know what you are looking to do, I can give you tips no how I did it.

By the way, I found my used Mac on Craigslist.

JayVig
07-12-2008, 10:40 PM
I spoke to a friend of mine who has become a heavy mac user. I was going to get the Macbook Air because it's sexy and sleek but it's under powered and has no optical drive and only one USB port. But man is it cool looking.

Anyway, I want a notebook because I don't want to be chained to a desk to use it. Plus I have a very very healthy PC that I upgraded a few months back for those that remember. It's got a quad core processor, 4 gigs of ram and tons of storage space piping out to 2 widescreen 19" monitors. So a mac notebook is the first move. I'm sure I'll get a desktop when this windows box dies.

My questions were mainly about the portability between systems. I found out that I can burn discs on a windows machine and drop them in the mac. I can use my external hard drives between the 2 without a problem and all my peripherals (printer, tablet, etc) will work fine on either machine. Plus the mac will connect to my existing network without needing an airport extreme.

So I'm comfortable making the move. In terms of desktops, that's the hole in user bases. The mac mini is about half worthless from what I'm told. If you don't need a power mac tower (which most don't) then an iMac is the way to go. It's got enough horsepower, memory upgrades are $100 for 4 gigs and even though it's all in one, it has a full quality cinema display that they offer.

For me, it looks like it's going to be the Macbook Pro for now. $1999 plus shipping and tax but I can get it for $1889 with free shipping and no tax through military channels so I think that's it.

It's going to be used for my primary photo machine and eventually a transition to a full time machine as I leave windows behind. I have a mobileme account which works like .mac and on outlook and will sync OTA via push to the iPhones, macbook and windows machines.

I also just got a consulting job creating graphics/images for a new iPhone application so it'll be used in vector graphics design for that as well.

JayVig
07-13-2008, 04:07 PM
After a couple of long conversations with Apple and a friend of mine who is a hardcore Apple fan after making the switch, I came to a conclusion.

I ordered the MacBook Pro. Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz Processor, 2GB memory (2 more on the way), 200GB SATA HDD, DVD-R DL, NVIDIA GeForce 8600 256MB of GDDR3, 15" cinema display.

JerseyMutt
07-13-2008, 05:14 PM
Was just looking at the MacBook Pro on Apple's website. *drool*

convergent
07-13-2008, 07:13 PM
Sounds like you made the right choice.

JerseyMutt
07-29-2008, 10:56 AM
I just threw my hat in the ring and purchased the same. Should be here in two weeks or less.

JayVig
07-30-2008, 10:27 AM
I couldn't be happier with the purchase. I haven't even looked at my WinBlows laptop since the Mac arrived. There is so much good to be said about it. I can tell you that the anti-aliasing on the fonts is insanse and makes them SO smooth. Looking at Windoze makes my eyes hurt now. I absolutely love it.

I have extra Kool-Aid if anyone wants some

convergent
07-30-2008, 10:37 AM
NC has no sales tax on computers this weekend, so I am thinking about another one... :)