PDA

View Full Version : Waterfall Shots

kdenkers
07-06-2008, 02:15 PM
I went out yesterday to Shelving Rock... now I know by the time we got there the sun was in the wrong spot... so lighting is off.. but I am hoping that is all that is wrong... I have added the unedited shots in below. What do you guys think?

~K

http://www.northeastfoto.com/gallery/files/1/9/2/4/org2.jpg

http://www.northeastfoto.com/gallery/files/1/9/2/4/org1.jpg

Orgnoi1
07-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Well yes... the lighting is off... the other thing I am seeing is that either you have some dust on your sensor... or on the inside lens of your lens... I see a bit of dust particles on the images...

We have a D100 in our household... so if you arent sure on how to make the attempt at cleaning the sensor please post up... otherwise the other option is to bring it to Cameraworks in Latham... they do a professional cleaning for very little cash... and do a great job...

kdenkers
07-06-2008, 02:33 PM
Yes I know, how do you attempt to clean the sensor? I checked into Ritz and I would be out a camera for 6-8 weeks.. hence why its just easier for me to photoshop it out until I can afford to get another body and send it away. But if you have other ideas.. shoot them over to me.

Cameraworks huh? Never heard of them... will have to look them up if my attempt doesn't work :)

We left at 8am, forgetting how long it actually took us to get there...and it was actually sunny, today would have been probably a better day to go.. more overcast.

Thanks
~K

Orgnoi1
07-06-2008, 02:37 PM
OK on the D100... you will put the camera on bulb... this camera doesnt have a "sensor cleaning" setting... and holding the face downward (in the least dusty area you can use) use a good bulb blower such as a Giottos or Canon (the size that barely fits in your palm) and without touching the sensor filter do some hard blows upward to knock the dust off the sensor filter. Generally this gets rid of 90% of the larger objects on the sensor filter... if you do that and still have a problem I would take it to Cameraworks...

Cameraworks
166 Sparrowbush Road
Suite 5
Latham, NY 12110
518-782-1503

Their shop hours are wed-fri 9am-5pm...

J.W.
07-06-2008, 03:11 PM
+1 for the Giottos rocket blower....it works great.

nvr2low
07-07-2008, 07:11 AM
lighting looks to be the major issue here.

kdenkers
07-07-2008, 07:19 AM
Good that's something I already knew :) And not some major camera issue or something. Thank you!

TomNanos
07-07-2008, 09:10 AM
Another hint if you're really concerned with dust as you clean the sensor. Go in your bathroom, and run the tub or shower on hot for a while to get the humidity up in the room - maybe a minute or two once the water goes hot, but not necessarily to the point that the mirror fogs over. Then let it sit with the door closed for 10 minutes or so. This will cause the airborne dust to fall (heavier because the moisture in the air will adhere to it). After the wait, go in, and do your thing in the bathroom (shut the door behind you). You won't have to worry about condensation either, because by letting the room sit, the temp should come down too.

nvr2low
07-07-2008, 11:07 AM
thats a pretty good idea, i never would have thought of that!

kdenkers
07-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Thanks! I will try this and the part with the shower too.. if I can't get everything or still have a problem I will go to cameraworks.

~Kris

OK on the D100... you will put the camera on bulb... this camera doesnt have a "sensor cleaning" setting... and holding the face downward (in the least dusty area you can use) use a good bulb blower such as a Giottos or Canon (the size that barely fits in your palm) and without touching the sensor filter do some hard blows upward to knock the dust off the sensor filter. Generally this gets rid of 90% of the larger objects on the sensor filter... if you do that and still have a problem I would take it to Cameraworks...

Cameraworks
166 Sparrowbush Road
Suite 5
Latham, NY 12110
518-782-1503

Their shop hours are wed-fri 9am-5pm...

NYracefan
07-08-2008, 01:34 PM
I get those dirt specs on all my shots that show a lot of sky, or waterfall shots. Most of my stuff is full of dirt from going to the races every week, I just brush it out also. real pain in the butt though :)

I really like that first shot of the falls :)

adkwalker
07-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Hey... Kris... I see you joined!!! AWESOME!

kdenkers
07-08-2008, 02:36 PM
I did and I have already learned new stuff and met all these cool people!

Hey... Kris... I see you joined!!! AWESOME!

zacker
07-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Kriss, yes, the lighting in your photos was too harsh, wrong time of day.. oh well, I think either try again at 5 am. or at 7:30 Pm or on an overcast day... dawn or dusk would be better though as the lighting is nicer then!

kdenkers
07-08-2008, 04:19 PM
Will do :) thanks for all your help!