PDA

View Full Version : Just pulled the trigger on a new computer...

twoshadows
07-06-2008, 01:47 PM
It's a PC (I know, I know). An HP Pavillion with the DREADED VISTA!!!!! YUK!!!!!!
In spite of this, it does seem to have some redeeming qualities (I think. I don't know as much about computers as I used to).
Here's some of the specs:

AMD Triple core 2.1Gig processor
4GB memory
640GB hard drive (7200rpm SATA)

I know there are some folks here that are knowledgeable in computers. I would love it if you all could chime in and let me know what you think :) . I don't get the computer 'til Tuesday.

twoshadows
07-06-2008, 02:15 PM
For more info on the system, here's the link to the computer where I bought it at Staples.com.

http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/p4__232796_Business_Supplies_1_10051_SC3:CG71:DP41 19:CL161746

Orgnoi1
07-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Honestly Ian... once you get past the dreaded "this needs administrator permission" bs for the first month or so you will like Vista... its really NOT so bad... I am running it on the laptop I am on now... with PSP8, PS CS3, and Lightroom... and it runs all three flawlessly with 1.5gb of ram....

twoshadows
07-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Cool, Ross. That's good to know :) . I figure with 4GB of RAM I should be able to better batch process pics in PSCS (right now I have 1GB). Also, Capture One 4 requires a dual processor to run properly and right now I'm only running an AMD Athlon 1.8Gig processor. So I can't use Capture One 4 right now for batch stuff :( . I'm not looking forward to the transition, but then, who is? Now is a good time for it though. Don't be surprised if you get a call from me. lol. :D

Orgnoi1
07-06-2008, 02:33 PM
No problem... I am certainly NOT a Vista expert... but I will try and answer anything I can...

asull85
07-06-2008, 03:17 PM
My laptop has Vista and like what Ross said, once you get past the computer asking permission to do anything, it is fine. I've been thinking about getting a new desktop but I can't bring myself to spend the money.

oldnavy170
07-06-2008, 07:50 PM
I didn't want to switch to Vista either but I have been using it now for 4 months and its not so bad. The biggest issue I have is with burning to a cd because it never just pops out by itself and I always have to go back and click on eject and then Vista sits and tells you that you have to wait while they finalize and blah, blah, blah......you get the picture. So you will find a few things different but its not aweful.

zacker
07-06-2008, 08:33 PM
i have heard alot of bad things about vista but my wifes machine is on it and the only problem we have is it wont shut down ..lol it shuts down but starts itself right back up... its haunted!!! lol

convergent
07-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Congrats on the new computer. I hate Vista... my daughter's laptop has it and its been a lot of trouble, but hopefully yours will be fine.

oldnavy170
07-06-2008, 08:49 PM
i have heard alot of bad things about vista but my wifes machine is on it and the only problem we have is it wont shut down ..lol it shuts down but starts itself right back up... its haunted!!! lol

Creepy.........Hahahaha!!!!!! :D

asull85
07-06-2008, 11:07 PM

Is it an eMachines? I used to have one that would randomly turn itself on.

zacker
07-07-2008, 07:07 AM
Is it an eMachines? I used to have one that would randomly turn itself on.

lol.. nice. Naaa its a dell... its a nice machine but a bit scarey...

zacker
07-07-2008, 07:09 AM
that comp sounds like it will be a great work horse... Im curious about that triple core processer... sounds interesting!! 4gb's should run PS like a champ, amongst other programs!!

twoshadows
07-07-2008, 11:38 AM
that comp sounds like it will be a great work horse... Im curious about that triple core processor... sounds interesting!! 4gb's should run PS like a champ, amongst other programs!!

I've had an AMD 1.8gig processor with 1GB of RAM for 5 years now and it's done pretty well. It's been reliable and for that I can't complain. It's just that I've got an ~200GB HD that's practically full and since the system is 5 years old I figure I better change over while the option is still mine. Plus, I don't want to change computers while the school year is going on - it's too busy for that.

I'm psyched about the new machine and I'm really hoping that triple-core processor is kick-a**. And 4GBs should give some room for batch work (hopefully). I will definitely let you know how it performs - should be this weekend when I get it set up.