PDA

View Full Version : Night Photos

kdenkers
07-06-2008, 07:18 AM
This was the first time that I went out specifically to work on my night shots. Hubby had the idea that the airport would be a good place to start because of all the lights and such. Anyway, I put up some shots in the "Anything Else" Gallery... can you guys please take a peek and let me know how to improve my night photography?

Thanks so much!
Kris

zacker
07-06-2008, 07:36 AM
the last ones the best... did you use a tripod? some are a bit blurry, possibly do to camera shake or perhaps wind?

kdenkers
07-06-2008, 07:38 AM
That's maybe what I was thinking too.. I had my tripod up in the back of my truck, and I had forgotten my cable release as well.. but other then that they look alright? Any tips?

nvr2low
07-06-2008, 07:50 AM
i would guess having your tripod in the back of you truck is not going to help any since it has a suspension. if you move around in the truck while the shutter is open you will definitely get motion blur on the camera.

kdenkers
07-06-2008, 07:58 AM
I thought it was a good idea at the time since there is a 8ft fence around the airport :) I didn't think about the suspension though...

J.W.
07-06-2008, 08:24 AM
some have what looks to be glare off a UV filter too.

if you dont have a cable release you can always use the timer....works just as good, just takes longer.

last one looks good. :)

kdenkers
07-06-2008, 08:32 AM
I did have my UV on... I always do.. will make a note now to take that off for night work... thanks for the tip

Orgnoi1
07-06-2008, 01:32 PM
I thought it was a good idea at the time since there is a 8ft fence around the airport :) I didn't think about the suspension though...

Just be VERY aware of the fact that shooting at the airport even in the daytime will draw attention of the local sheriffs... I will take a look at your shots shortly... =)

kdenkers
07-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Yup :) Thats why I stayed in the observation section right off the road where everyone else was.

Cool, thanks.. I have gotten so many tips already its amazing.. today is a good day, I learned something new!

~Kris

Just be VERY aware of the fact that shooting at the airport even in the daytime will draw attention of the local sheriffs... I will take a look at your shots shortly... =)

kdenkers
07-06-2008, 01:36 PM
Thanks Jay! Will have to go out and work on this a little more this week :) I am excited to try everything!

Kris

some have what looks to be glare off a UV filter too.

if you dont have a cable release you can always use the timer....works just as good, just takes longer.

last one looks good. :)

J.W.
07-06-2008, 02:02 PM
Thanks Jay! Will have to go out and work on this a little more this week :) I am excited to try everything!

Kris

no problem, glad i could help. :)

i learned about the UV filters from Ross (orgnoi1)....i've learned so much from this site, i think all my shots have gotten 10000 times better since joining here. :D

kdenkers
07-06-2008, 02:06 PM
I have already marked the UV filter tip and the others in my little notebook (don't laugh)

I will have to post some of the waterfall shots I took yesterday...not happy at all with how they came out. I know I have an older camera to, so I am worried.

I went in after the shoot to Ritz (my brandy new tripod broke in 2!) and I asked about my camera.. you know maybe there was something I was missing or something you know what I mean. We played around and switched some of my settings around... but I am still worried.

Thanks again!
~K

Orgnoi1
07-06-2008, 02:21 PM
A camera does not make the photographer... whatsoever... of course there will be some limitations at times to what you can shoot... meaning that my Canon 1D Mark II high ISO performance isnt as good as say a 1D Mark III...but you can still take 99% of the same shots the same way and it will come out just as good... =)

NYracefan
07-09-2008, 01:25 PM
I always use a UV filter to, even at night. It is on there to protect my lens more than anything else. Most of the races are at night, and with dirt and rocks being kicked up by the cars I need a filter on there!!

So what you guys are saying is for any other night shooting one should not use any filter?

Looks like I learned something new from this thread also :)

TomNanos
07-09-2008, 01:56 PM
99.99999% of the time I never use a UV filter day or night, and especially at night with longer exposures. Couple reasons. First, as has been mentioned, it's another surface for light to reflect off of and create ghosts in your image (yes, even the expensive B+W and Hoya super multi-coated ones - trust me, I've tried 'em). And second, moreso with longer nighttime exposures, it's another surface to collect dust, which causes those annoying out of focus specks around bright lights.

About the only time I use a filter on my lens is if I'm on a boat or around a large waterfall where spray comes into play. Otherwise, they sit in my camera bag safely away from my images. :D

kdenkers
07-09-2008, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the tip Tom!!