PDA

View Full Version : Computer to TV connection??

zacker
06-30-2008, 09:47 AM
Anyone ever hook a computer or laptop to their regular old TV? if so, how? I know there is a $100.00 cable at Radio shack.. but.... lol I have an older (non HD, non flat screen, non digital, non giant sized telly!

JayVig
06-30-2008, 10:49 AM
Do you have S-Video?

convergent
06-30-2008, 10:57 AM
Yeh, the first question is what input connections your TV and or VCR/DVD player has? You can usually get composite video and audio off one of them. SVideo is better. Then you will need some kind of video output card for your computer. If your TV is older, then it is probably going to look pretty bad on the screen since the lines of resolution on older TVs were sub-VGA even.

zacker
06-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Its older as in 2001 or 2002.. I believe its got S-video as thats what i hook the DVD player into.

convergent
06-30-2008, 11:09 AM
The best thing to do is probably hit one of the big box stores and see what kind of video out cards they have, and check the specs for what connections they provide. CompUSA used to have a good selection of this stuff, but with them gone you are down to the other generic big box stores. A lot of the cards are also going to have a TV Tuner which you don't need (like the Hauupage and ATI "Wonder" series), but you should be able to find something that just does the video output. You'll also need audio output, I assume, and you may need to buy a converter cable from Radio Shack to convert your headphone/speaker jack into composite audio cables (RCA) which is what most TV inputs require.

zacker
06-30-2008, 12:26 PM
Ill have to look into this.
thanks!

JayVig
06-30-2008, 01:37 PM
or post some pics of the rear of all your equipment and i'll help design a solution to connect one to the other.

zacker
06-30-2008, 04:24 PM
cool. j, ill see what i got!

Orgnoi1
06-30-2008, 04:53 PM
One thing Craig... dont expect stellar looking images... even on the better TVs it doesnt look anything like a good computer screen... at least as far as I have ever seen...

JayVig
06-30-2008, 07:31 PM
What Ross said is true. I have a high end video card pumping out a DVI connection going HDMI into a 1080i tv and it's less than fantastic. Luckily it's just a media center PC to play goofy internet videos and music playlists (but that all changes with iPhone 3G).

zacker
07-01-2008, 06:50 AM
Hmmmmm ... something to think about.

stoneylonesome
07-01-2008, 04:04 PM
Not sure if this is what you had in mind but check out the July 08 issue of Outdoor Photography. "More than TV" little thing called Apple TV they say it will sync with almost any computer.

here is a link to it on the apple site
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/apple_tv?mco=MTE2NTk

zacker
07-01-2008, 04:07 PM
i Was reading a review of this someplace, i think it flopped and Apple will be pulling the plug if I remember correctly.. maybe not. lol

JayVig
07-01-2008, 04:26 PM
I don't see Apple pulling the plug on it any time soon. With the next gen iPhone around the corner it wouldn't make sense. iPhone 3G will work like an iTunes remote and will help with integration. I do think, however, that AppleTV didn't do as well as they initially hoped it would.

zacker
07-02-2008, 07:26 AM
maybe thats what i read... i know there was something like that, the article basically said it wasnt worth the wait.

JayVig
07-02-2008, 07:33 AM
I've been anti-apple/mac for many years. the rivalry between mac and PCs is bigger than canon/nikon or even yankees/red sox i think. Lately, apple has been woo-ing me though. Good stuff coming out of that company. reall innovation and vision. it has flaws but it's not the same ol' stuff that MS keeps churning out. Just wait... lots on the horizon potentially. not to mention for our world (photography/PPing) you can't beat the Macs. Their displays are gorgeous.

this comes from a guy who wouldn't watch quicktime videos out of spite because they were made with apple products. LOL.

Orgnoi1
07-02-2008, 07:41 AM
I've been anti-apple/mac for many years. the rivalry between mac and PCs is bigger than canon/nikon or even yankees/red sox i think. Lately, apple has been woo-ing me though. Good stuff coming out of that company. reall innovation and vision. it has flaws but it's not the same ol' stuff that MS keeps churning out. Just wait... lots on the horizon potentially. not to mention for our world (photography/PPing) you can't beat the Macs. Their displays are gorgeous.

this comes from a guy who wouldn't watch quicktime videos out of spite because they were made with apple products. LOL.

Yeah I have to agree 100%... while I really liked my iMac I had before it was just SOOOO limited I ended up selling it... the new iBooks are gorgeous but the price tag runs right along with it... so for now I am kept at bay so to speak... but I could definately see a nice G5 with a 24" Mac LCD for a processing station... and the nice thing is with the dual boot you can use it as a winblows machine when you arent processing....

zacker
07-02-2008, 12:28 PM
I dlove a new MAC... but they are just wayyyy too expensive for what they offer.. seriously, my Dell machine suits me fine for what i do.. if i were to be in business, id prolly go with a mac though...

convergent
07-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Not sure if this is what you had in mind but check out the July 08 issue of Outdoor Photography. "More than TV" little thing called Apple TV they say it will sync with almost any computer.

here is a link to it on the apple site
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipod/family/apple_tv?mco=MTE2NTk

This really isn't going in the direction that the OP was looking for. They wanted to view the output from their computer on a TV. AppleTV is about letting you watch TV on your computer. Think something like a TiVo that works with computers.

JayVig
07-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Mike, check that, reverse it. AppleTV hooks to the TV and lets you stream stuff from a PC over Wi-Fi to your TV such as pics, youtube, movies, etc.

stoneylonesome
07-02-2008, 01:53 PM
Jay is right, take a look at this article in Outdoor Photographer magazine.
More Than TV

A piece of technology can change the way you enjoy your photographs

http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/content/2008/july/basic-jones.shtml (http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/content/2008/july/basic-jones.shtml)

convergent
07-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Ah, I stand corrected. I think they've had a few attempts at this.

stoneylonesome
07-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Ah, I stand corrected. I think they've had a few attempts at this.

Ya! and maybe this one will stick..:) Now if they can only get realistic with there pricing, seems like everything they produce runs at least 20-30% higher than what it really should.

JayVig
07-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Yup. it's overpriced but as long as people are paying, and they are, they're not going to lower prices. How many places had lines overnight, out the door to be the first to have a $600 iPhone? I can make fun all I want but I was one of those people.

Slightly off topic but right around the time I bought the .50cal Desert Eagle handgun I saw an interview with the designer. He was asked "With this weapon being almost 11 inches in length, 4 pounds in weight, $1500+ for the gun and $1.50 per shot, what are the practical applications?" He answered, "There are none." The interviewer asked "Then why make it?"

ANSWER: "Americans will buy anything." and I have one. So I'm a sucker consumer maybe but price points set by Apple or whoever, are set because people fork over the cash.

convergent
07-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Given that they are one of the few companies that are seeing very good market growth, I don't think that there is anything wrong with their pricing. Why would they want to lower their prices if they are outperforming all their competitors... which they are. I get a lot of market analysis information and bottom line is they are the only personal computer company that is doing really well. I would prefer their prices were lower too, but they aren't likely to lower them. I bought a used Mac and will probably get a refurbished iMac for the family computer soon. Their refurbished prices are too bad. One of the biggest problems with their prices is they have big gaping wholes in their product line that force you to buy less than you want, or way more than you want. For example, a single processor tower unit with good performance is probably THE most popular footprint for a computer, and Apple doesn't sell one. You either have to buy a limited entry model, an integrated all-in-one model, or a high end dual CPU model. The obvious and most common model is missing, and would likely be the right price point for many. The same thing happens with the laptops. You either can get a tiny screened very small unit, or a huge screen high end unit. The most common size and capability with non-Apple companies doesn't find an Apple competitor. Its a matter of too big, or too small... never just right! I solved the problem by getting a used model.