PDA

View Full Version : Need Computer advice, loading XP.

zacker
06-20-2008, 11:42 AM
So my laptop is kinda beaten down, loaded with spywear, viruses and stuff, running like poop... its got XP pro on it but I dont have any of the original discs that came with it so.... what i was wanting to do is clean sweep the HD, reformat it and, then re load XP.. I can get a brand new XP home with SP2 for like $100.00 now. the only thing is, how can I reformat the drive and reload xp? the last time i did this sorta thing was a few years ago, my nephew had some program that reformatted the HD.
any ideas??

convergent
06-20-2008, 11:49 AM
Going from XP Pro to XP Home is a step down. I'm pretty sure I ordered a copy of XP Pro for a little over $100 back a few years ago, but maybe it was an upgrade.... Before you do this, have you tried calling the laptop company to see if you can get a "restore disk". You already have a license. You might also try calling Microsoft about getting replacement media. If you still have a running system, then you can access the serial number and that should allow Microsoft to get you new install media. I wouldn't give up on these approaches just yet.

If you end up buying new media and want to install, when you run it it will give you options to format. If it were me, I'd take the extra step to repartition the drive... and then delete the partition and re-create it which should set everything from start again. It won't erase the old information, but the file structure will be new. The install disk should allow you to all of this. You'll then have to hunt down all the drivers for your laptop hw if you just install from a standard XP disk.

zacker
06-20-2008, 12:06 PM
thanks Mike... yeah i wanna just wipe the HD clean, re format to get rid of all the data on it and just re install windows, It doesnt matter what version of xp i get, the cheaper the better, all i do with this is check email, surf the net and come to places like this..lol all while watching TV at night so i really dont need xp pro or even xp, win 2000 or even 98 would work....lol

convergent
06-20-2008, 12:25 PM
Well like I said, I'd try to get either the restore disk from the manufacturer so you don't have to spend time hunting down their drivers (which you definitely need if you want it to work) or try to get a media disk from microsoft. Both of these will get you to a clean slate for less $$$.

zacker
06-20-2008, 12:48 PM
good thoughts... ill have to see if i can locate all the serial#s for this machine.. thanks mike!

convergent
06-20-2008, 02:26 PM
This should give you a good start... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246