PDA

View Full Version : Which pic do YOU think is better?

twoshadows
05-14-2008, 02:05 AM
Here's a couple of pics I took the other day and I can't decide which one I like better (or at all for that matter :( ). What do you think? Your help is greatly appreciated. :)

This...
http://www.pbase.com/iangreyphotography/image/97047764/original.jpg

or this...
http://www.pbase.com/iangreyphotography/image/97047768/original.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Orgnoi1
05-14-2008, 05:55 AM
Of the two I like the second better.... but its really about WHAT you are trying to convey in the shot... the first shot is more about "Jacks" with a guy hanging out the window... the second is more about the guy hanging out the window... at Jacks...

stoneylonesome
05-14-2008, 07:16 AM
I'm going to say the first one, however I think it would be a more dramatic shot if it was cropped a little tighter say to eleminate the corner of the building on the right, the lean is a little distracting, and crop out most of the sidewalk.

KDN
05-14-2008, 07:20 AM
First thoughts when I look at them,

#1 There's a lot going on in the photo, and honestly it took me awhile to find the guy hanging out the window, once I saw him he really added to it, but my eyes keep focusing on Jacks and not him.

#2 I prefer this one better as there's more focus on the guy, but the wood line/gutter-like thing above Jacks sign keeps leading my eye away from the main focus and down to the other buildings. Over all I like the comp of the second one much better and having the sky in it adds a lot for me (once again drawing my focus better)

Both are good photos, like Ross said it's about what you are tring to convey each has it's own unique feel to it.

brittonx
05-14-2008, 07:45 AM
I'm om the fence.
I would have preferred an angle in between the two.

Is there a way for you to darken the sign in #2? If the sign wasn't washed out, I would prefer it because you can see the person's face better.

convergent
05-14-2008, 08:04 AM
I definitely like the first one better. But, I'd recommend straightening that right line with the Free Transform (Distortion) in PS... I think thats the function to correct it, going on memory.

StudioCMC
05-14-2008, 08:11 AM
The first one is better, IMOP.

The #2 shot has the gutter thats eating up the shot, though the perspective is cool. The "subject is the person", in the image. So my thinking is that the first image conveys that he would be "Jack" and thats his little store. Though it might not be. Every image has a story.

Great work.. I see your getting some cool fonts going for your logo too! ;)

Chris

zacker
05-14-2008, 08:42 AM
I gotta say #1 as it definetly reminds me of those old 1920's photos of a city scene ... I think its all the elements working together like the B&W, the hot dog store AND ep the guy in the window... great shot it definetly make me think im looking back in time through an old photo!

ChrisG
05-14-2008, 09:06 AM
FWIW i like #1, just is more easy on the eyes, #2 has alot going on

twoshadows
05-14-2008, 10:24 AM
Wow, thank you, Everyone :) . I like the sky and the buildings in #2 but I've decided to go with #1. After using the free transform (perspective) tool - thank you Mike for the suggestion - and cropping out the left and bottom some (Thank you Sandy), I think I finally have a keeper. Here it is...

http://www.pbase.com/iangreyphotography/image/97059512/original.jpg

Orgnoi1
05-14-2008, 10:44 AM
That IS a keeper.. great job!

MrsCL
05-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Im going to say #1 and I like the edit one better also...Great job, loving looking at your photos your doing awesome!

twoshadows
05-14-2008, 10:52 AM
Of the two I like the second better.... but its really about WHAT you are trying to convey in the shot... the first shot is more about "Jacks" with a guy hanging out the window... the second is more about the guy hanging out the window... at Jacks...

Funny thing, Ross, I almost wrote what I wanted to convey, but decided against it because I didn't want to color anyone's interpretation of these pics. Thanks, Man. :)

First thoughts when I look at them,

#1 There's a lot going on in the photo, and honestly it took me awhile to find the guy hanging out the window, once I saw him he really added to it, but my eyes keep focusing on Jacks and not him.

#2 I prefer this one better as there's more focus on the guy, but the wood line/gutter-like thing above Jacks sign keeps leading my eye away from the main focus and down to the other buildings. Over all I like the comp of the second one much better and having the sky in it adds a lot for me (once again drawing my focus better)

Both are good photos, like Ross said it's about what you are tring to convey each has it's own unique feel to it.

Kadian,

It's nice to hear from you and thank you for your input on this :) . I think with the work I did on the first one that it is now a better composition than it was. I also like #2's comp but i think #1 is more in line with what I'm trying to convey.

I'm om the fence.
I would have preferred an angle in between the two.

Is there a way for you to darken the sign in #2? If the sign wasn't washed out, I would prefer it because you can see the person's face better.

Thanks, Britton. As always, I value your input. I think the changes I've made to #1 have set things to right for me regarding these two pics. Btw, did you know that Sigma is holding a nationwide contest for DP-1 owners, exclusively?

The first one is better, IMOP.

The #2 shot has the gutter thats eating up the shot, though the perspective is cool. The "subject is the person", in the image. So my thinking is that the first image conveys that he would be "Jack" and thats his little store. Though it might not be. Every image has a story.

Great work.. I see your getting some cool fonts going for your logo too! ;)

Chris

Chris,

Thank you for chiming in on this one - someone with your experience is an asset :) . The gentleman above Jacks actually lives in the apartments above the restaurant. He, like so many in the downtown area, is relatively poor but gets by with the help of his friends.

I gotta say #1 as it definetly reminds me of those old 1920's photos of a city scene ... I think its all the elements working together like the B&W, the hot dog store AND ep the guy in the window... great shot it definetly make me think im looking back in time through an old photo!

Cool, Z, I'm glad you like #1. With the changes I've made i now like it too :) . Thanks for your input :D .

FWIW i like #1, just is more easy on the eyes, #2 has alot going on

Thanks, ChrisG, and your opinion on this is worth a lot to me. :)

stoneylonesome
05-14-2008, 12:41 PM
The edit looks great, a keeper for sure.

adkwalker
05-14-2008, 12:59 PM
#2.... definately.... I like it when photos are taken at creative angles, as opposed to straight on.

J.W.
05-14-2008, 01:10 PM
great job on the new #1. i liked the original except the corner....the reworked one is really nice! :)

Cap'nFred
05-14-2008, 07:31 PM
Hi Ian, I like #1 the best. I especially like the revised edition. I did not care for #2 at all because it was more of a vertical profile with everything squished so tightly together. I also like the use of black and white because it puts a lot more emphasis on the subject that you are capturing. Nice work! I remember one you di a few weeks ago with the store ownersitting on the front stoop reading something...I thought that was fantastic. Belated Kudos on that one as well. Fred

JayVig
05-14-2008, 07:50 PM
I'm for #1 as well. I like the re-edit after the distortion tool.

KDN
05-14-2008, 07:53 PM
The edit is definitely a keeper!! I like it much better with the right crop and fixing the wall.

oldnavy170
05-14-2008, 08:35 PM
I like #1 better. I like how the guy is hanging out the window and how you can get a real good view of him and the hot dog sign. I think its a cool photo.