PDA

View Full Version : Turbo charge your Point and Shoot.

zacker
05-10-2008, 09:09 AM
found this on he smug mug users forum and gave it a shot...works great with my sd850IS.. lol way too cool, i love the internet!

http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Supercharge_Your_Camera_with_Open-Source_CHDK_Firmware

now to test out my newly acquired RAW mode and bracketing!!

ChrisG
05-10-2008, 09:16 AM
wow that is awesome! if it works well with no problems that just gives me another reason to spend money on another camera! haha

zacker
05-10-2008, 09:53 AM
well it does shoot raw +jpeg but... i cant open the raw files in PS CS3 its saying its not the right file..Hmmm...i will have to do more searching. well, im off to the dogs distraction class(teaching her not to try and kill unexpected distractions like cars and people..lol) i will search more on this later.

Orgnoi1
05-10-2008, 10:17 AM
interesting... I will have to check this out later today...

KDN
05-10-2008, 08:31 PM
Very interesting, let us know how it works out...

stoneylonesome
05-11-2008, 10:08 AM
well it does shoot raw +jpeg but... i cant open the raw files in PS CS3 its saying its not the right file..Hmmm...i will have to do more searching. well, im off to the dogs distraction class(teaching her not to try and kill unexpected distractions like cars and people..lol) i will search more on this later.

Try opening them in Zoombrowser or DPP and than convert (save as) a tiff file you won't lose anything that way.

zacker
05-11-2008, 03:33 PM
i have and it still isnt recognized.. so i checked one against one from the 30D and the only diff i found is if i click properties on one from the 30D its got three check boxes.. hidden, read only and archived and the archived is checked.. when i look at the hacked one it only has hidden and read only and then its got and "Advanced" tab where "archived" should be, so i click advanced and theres like 4 choices and the only checked off one is... "This file is reday to be archived" Hmmm so how do i archive it?

Orgnoi1
05-12-2008, 07:20 AM
My question for you Craig is it says its not a perm fix... so do you have to just put it in the card and then shoot to that card... or can you switch out cards once the fix is in... and then when you shut it off it goes away?

zacker
05-12-2008, 08:12 AM
yeah you load it on a card but you gotta use that card as it runs off it, I have two 4 gig cardsfor this cam so i loaded it on both. its kind of a pita to use that in, you have to access it first, but it isnt bad. you start the camea in playbac, hit the menue, scroll to the firmware update and hit it then hit the aux button (usually the print button) and hit menue and a new menue will pop up, then when youre ready to shoot, put the cam in shoot mode and press the AUX button again and shoot as you normally would.

yesterday just messing around, I was shooting with a 1/64000 Shutter spped..in bright sun pointing at a white house, you could hardly see it in the shot... lol

Ps. yes when you shut off the cam, it goes back to normal shooting mode!

Orgnoi1
05-15-2008, 10:08 AM
So have you figured out the RAW deal yet?

zacker
05-15-2008, 10:19 AM
not yet... no one can help me, I can join yet ANOTHER forum to converse with others who have done this but..... lol Maybe i will try at lunchtime.