PDA

View Full Version : First Pics from New "Studio" setup

MrMagoo
05-06-2008, 12:23 AM
So I made the next jump to start taking professional looking studio shots after several people at work asked me to shoot their kids (hello youth services) when they found out I have decent equipment and a love for photography. I found a site on the web that had a decent "Studio" package with 4 strobes (150w/s I think) 2 softboxes (love 'em) and an umbrella. 1 backlight strobe, all with stands, 3 backdrops with stand.
Anyway, on to the critique...I took pics of the dog, playing with settings, and added wifey into the mix to what skin tones looked like. I love these two photos. She hates that shes in her sweats. I have them against the black backdrop which contrasts both blondes!!! I have not touched these pictures in photoshop...I am a bit of a purist that likes to shoot the shot and show it the way I shot it.
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i269/njblkss/IMG_2220.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i269/njblkss/IMG_2186.jpg

JayVig
05-06-2008, 12:56 AM
Off to a great start Bri. If you don't mind me asking, what does that setup run and where did you find it?

MrMagoo
05-06-2008, 01:11 AM
Thanks Jay, it was 500 and change, but there were different package. I got the one with 3 stobes and a backlight strobe, 2 softboxes and an umbrella. I thought that the umbrella would have been a better light source, but up close and personal, I found the softboxes to work very nicely. It comes with 3 backdrops and the support for the backdrops.
If you look at the site, he has many different packages under the "strobe" section.
http://www.skaeser.com/
Look around on ebay though...I was just looking at the webpage and the kit I bought was less money from the same guy on ebay. I got mine from ebay from S. Kaeser

JayVig
05-06-2008, 01:23 AM
Can't seem to find this guy on ebay. Can you get a link to him for us?

MrMagoo
05-06-2008, 01:44 AM
Sorry...I gave his web addy, but forgot he had a slightly different name on ebay....heres the link to his store.
http://stores.ebay.com/STEVE-KAESER-BACKGROUNDS-SINCE-1989

zacker
05-06-2008, 07:31 AM
very nice... just a tad dark here on my end but my work monitor is dark anyhow..

convergent
05-06-2008, 08:42 AM
Nice work there... it does look a little dark to me too. If you don't have a light meter, you should look at getting one. I found it to be really, really hard to use strobes without a meter. It makes it much easier to set your ratios to get the effect you after. I also highly recommend "The Master Lighting Guide for Portrait Photographers", by Amherst Press, as a great guide to learning about using strobes.

Your comment about being a purist caught my ear this morning (or would that be my eye I guess). Don't be too quick to discount computer processing of your images. The reality is that when you use film, the lab "processes" the images to get the corrected output. They make adjustments to exposure and color. With digital, either the camera does some of it to produce a JPEG for you, or you may shoot RAW and your RAW convertor does it. Bottom line is that correcting an image in processing has always been done, and you shouldn't feel bad about doing it. There is a difference between processing and enhancement. I'll get off my soapbox now... :)

You are off to a great start with studio photography. :)

MrsCL
05-06-2008, 09:11 AM
Off to a great start...I agree with the others they are a bit dark....Some editing will do the trick ;o)

StudioCMC
05-06-2008, 10:31 AM
In all for the tweeking and some C&C, these are great images.

I would offer a few suggestions:

1) Set your cameras White Balance to Sunlight or FLASH mode.
2) Shutter should be 1/125
3) ISO 200
4) Typical setup is F5.6 to 7.1 Increase or decrease the F stop only, the closer you get to seeing MORE detail will be over blown at F2.8 or what ever your glas goes to.
5) A light meter is the way to go, as the wattage of the light will need to be increased or decreased depending on how far away the box is from the subject.

But then again, I dont know what you had your lights set up for. ;)

Great start Brian!
Chris

oldnavy170
05-06-2008, 07:00 PM
You don't have to do any major editing but I think you would benefit from some contrast just to make the photos "pop" alittle more. I think you have a nice set-up going and can't wait to see more photos.

JUMPquick
05-06-2008, 11:28 PM
I'm with the others... great start!