PDA

View Full Version : Crabapple blossoms

clv_photography
05-02-2008, 01:19 AM
I captured this photo about a week ago in the early evening and on a windy day. Not sure of the settings as I was using my P&S camera. It's a Kodak EasyShare C633.

TIA for any replies.

ttfn
CLV.

Orgnoi1
05-02-2008, 07:02 AM
Color and composition are pretty good... and its a very nice job in framing (the shot)... it keeps your eyes where you want them to be looking. I probably am more extreme than others so I would say that for myself I would like a slight bit more contrast added to darken the sky slightly... did you do levels on Photoshop when you processed?

zacker
05-02-2008, 07:10 AM
great colors... and as Ross said comp and framing are great!

stoneylonesome
05-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Nice shot, what the others said. Boy you're about 2 weeks ahead of me.

JUMPquick
05-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Nice, I like!

clv_photography
05-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Color and composition are pretty good... and its a very nice job in framing (the shot)... it keeps your eyes where you want them to be looking. I probably am more extreme than others so I would say that for myself I would like a slight bit more contrast added to darken the sky slightly... did you do levels on Photoshop when you processed?

Thanks to everyone who replied and for the comments... although some aren't very helpful they're appreciated ;)

I didn't do any type of processing on that other than resizing and adding the black and white border... perhaps I should do some more pp and see what happens? I'll give it a go and post my results when done. :D

ttfn
CLV.

nvr2low
05-02-2008, 09:14 PM
try posting a larger image, i have a hard time really seeing the detail in something that small. i think we could give you a better crituqe if we had a larger view.

clv_photography
05-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Alrighty then... I made it bigger as well as did some levels and a touch of curves. I don't have Photoshop but I use Macromedia Fireworks 8. It has similar abilities as PS just not quite as extensive... anyways.. here it is.

ttfn
CLV.

nvr2low
05-02-2008, 09:42 PM
the biggest thing i find is my eye is drawn to the one flower that is in the center left of the shot. i would adjust the dof to really make that flower pop more. i keep trying to find something else in the photo that really draws me in since there is so much there but i find that the other flowers are a little too soft to draw me in but a little to sharp to draw me away.

i hope that makes sense!

clv_photography
05-02-2008, 09:57 PM
I see what you mean... can you show me how you'd fix it? It's ok to edit then repost the photo as long as it's to help me learn :D

I was actually lucky to get anything in focus as the wind was moving the branches around and I was holding that one still so the camera could focus.

ttfn
CLV.

nvr2low
05-02-2008, 10:00 PM
hmm, im not 100% sure how you would go about doing that correctly in software, maybe somone else has an idea? i think its more of an in camera adjustment that you would have to try the shot again. i usually try to shoot something like this at a few different angles and settings to try and find the best shot. im sure there is a filter of some sort that can help but i dont know what it would be keeping the photo look realistic.

clv_photography
05-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Ahhh... well, unfortunately the blooms are all off the tree now so I can't take anymore. I did attempt a few other photos but this was the best out of the bunch as most were too blurry to fix.

Thanks for your help though.. it makes me look closer at the composition as that seems to be my weakest point when composing shots.

ttfn
CLV.

nvr2low
05-02-2008, 10:06 PM
its not bad, just something i would attempt to adjust if i could. over all i think its a pretty good image.

lrp12196
05-03-2008, 09:31 PM
I love the pop of the flowers against the sky. I was LOL about you're holding the branch to take the shot. So been there done that lately!

clv_photography
05-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Thanks Laurel, I think it's funny just what some photographers will do to get the shots they want :D

Like in my next set of shots... laying with my face in the grass to get the angles right. Does that mean I've suffered for my art? ;)

ttfn
CLV.

lrp12196
05-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Thanks Laurel, I think it's funny just what some photographers will do to get the shots they want :D

Like in my next set of shots... laying with my face in the grass to get the angles right. Does that mean I've suffered for my art? ;)

ttfn
CLV.

I have this gorgous flowering almond bush in my backyard and tonight the light from the sun setting hit it just right (of course by the time I noticed and got my camera, the sun had moved :(). But I went for a few shots anyway and wouldn't you know it.......I had to resort to grabbing some branches. :D My neighbors probably think I'm crazy after some of the contortions they've seen me do to get a photo. :)

clv_photography
05-06-2008, 04:56 PM
I have this gorgous flowering almond bush in my backyard and tonight the light from the sun setting hit it just right (of course by the time I noticed and got my camera, the sun had moved :(). But I went for a few shots anyway and wouldn't you know it.......I had to resort to grabbing some branches. :D My neighbors probably think I'm crazy after some of the contortions they've seen me do to get a photo. :)

My neighbors are the same way... the lady that lives next door is an avid gardener so I usually end up taking photos of her flowers so she knows just what positions are necessary to get the "perfect" shot. Although I don't think she understands why I can't just snap a photo of them like most people do. I told her that it wouldn't be a photograph then... just a snapshot... she said "what's the difference?" ... I didn't explain it to her. :rolleyes:

ttfn
CLV.

lrp12196
05-14-2008, 08:46 PM
My neighbors are the same way... the lady that lives next door is an avid gardener so I usually end up taking photos of her flowers so she knows just what positions are necessary to get the "perfect" shot. Although I don't think she understands why I can't just snap a photo of them like most people do. I told her that it wouldn't be a photograph then... just a snapshot... she said "what's the difference?" ... I didn't explain it to her. :rolleyes:

ttfn
CLV.
:rolleyes: Don't blame you there.

Today I saw a brilliant red lady bug on my neighbor's bushes and for a fleeting moment thought about rushing home to get my camera, but then thought better of it. She already thinks I'm a little nutty. :D