PDA

View Full Version : Processing RAW

JUMPquick
03-25-2008, 07:56 AM
This question is probably a bit redundant so, my apologies.

Okay, so I have several options for processing my RAW images:
-Adobe CS3 (Which obviously is awesome... but... it's kinda confusing me).
-GIMP (w/UFRAW).
-Olympus Studio 2 (Seems pretty powerful and fairly easy to use).

I'm sure there are other options... but those are what's running on my machine at the moment...

So anyway.... to the question part....
What would you recommend? What do you use and why? (If it's not on the list, I still want to know about it :) )...

nvr2low
03-25-2008, 08:02 AM
i use light room because i have it and its pretty straight forward.

JUMPquick
03-25-2008, 08:41 AM
I loved Lightroom when I tried it...
Only thing is, I couldn't really ever get it to edit the ORF (Olympus RAW file). But it says it supports RAW on the E-510... maybe you could verify for me sometime if you have the time?

i use light room because i have it and its pretty straight forward.

nvr2low
03-25-2008, 09:42 AM
next time i run it i will see if it says anyplace, that or you can email a raw file and i can see if it opens.

JUMPquick
03-25-2008, 09:47 AM
Here's the list of supported RAW: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html

PM me with your email addy and I'll send you a file.

next time i run it i will see if it says anyplace, that or you can email a raw file and i can see if it opens.

asull85
03-25-2008, 10:20 AM
I use Lightroom and CS3

convergent
03-25-2008, 10:42 AM
I use Lightroom too.

JayVig
03-25-2008, 12:13 PM
Until recently, my PC would choke when I opened Lightroom.

I use Zoombrowser EX. It comes with all the Canon software bundles. I like it because i select the raw files and click edit. They all open up in a simple interface where I can adjust exposure (most common edit), contrast, etc. When I click save it dumps them in a predesignated folder as giant JPG images for my PS editing.

zacker
03-25-2008, 01:01 PM
CS3 and LR have the same RAW engine... processing a raw image is not much different than a jpeg.. its only a set of sliders you need to worry about for now. just do the ones that come up on the first part, no need to do the colors or lens correction in the raw window, I save all that for the regular PSCS3 window. so lets see...from memory. W/B, exposure, fill light, blacks, (the other one i cant remember the name..after fill light?) then brightness, contrast, vivid, saturation. I think..lol (at work, no cs3 here) then i hit "open" and it opens the file in the regular cs3 window for further editing like cropping and such.

JUMPquick
03-25-2008, 01:08 PM
Sweet! :D

CS3 and LR have the same RAW engine... processing a raw image is not much different than a jpeg.. its only a set of sliders you need to worry about for now. just do the ones that come up on the first part, no need to do the colors or lens correction in the raw window, I save all that for the regular PSCS3 window. so lets see...from memory. W/B, exposure, fill light, blacks, (the other one i cant remember the name..after fill light?) then brightness, contrast, vivid, saturation. I think..lol (at work, no cs3 here) then i hit "open" and it opens the file in the regular cs3 window for further editing like cropping and such.