PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the selective coloring?

nmh5028
03-21-2008, 09:26 AM
I took this picture last summer while in Hawaii aboard the USS Arizona Memorial. I have the full color version, but to me everyone's bright color shirts draw attention away form the memorial. This is my first real attempt at selective coloring, so let me know what you think.

First: the original
http://www.northeastfoto.com/gallery/files/1/5/9/4/USSARIZONAorig.jpg

Second: Selective coloring
http://www.northeastfoto.com/gallery/files/1/5/9/4/USSARIZONAsmall.jpg

JayVig
03-21-2008, 09:35 AM
I'm not sure on this one. I generally like to highlight one element of a photo for sc. And the element I choose is something with a vibrant color and good contrast (umbrella like in Ian's recent photo or an American Flag). When I saw this one, my first reaction was not selective coloring. The 2nd guy back on the right... he's got a brightly colored shirt. it's not of anything important but it's the kind of colors and limited amount that it's the first thing that caught my eye to be used for sc.

nmh5028
03-21-2008, 09:46 AM
I see what you mean. Any other suggestions for keeping attention on the memorial and away from the people? (Since half of them are staring right at the camera)

EDIT: Actually that gave me a better idea of the selective coloring. I tried it on a different picture of the same place and I like the effect alot better.

http://www.northeastfoto.com/gallery/files/1/5/9/4/Oahu054CS.jpg

nvr2low
03-21-2008, 09:59 AM
that one is much better, the first has too much of an odd feel to it, maybe if you just desaturated the people a little, so they still had color, just not as much.

stoneylonesome
03-21-2008, 10:30 AM
I agree the second SC works much better, my suggestion on both might be to SC just the memorial and the flag, leave everthing else B&W, granted the memorial itself is rather grey but I think it would stand out, you might even try going for a dark B&W and than the SC. Just a thought

oldnavy170
03-21-2008, 11:54 AM
In your first shot you should try making the whole photo black and white that way you may be less distracted by their shirts. However, I really like the sc on the second photo.

JayVig
03-21-2008, 01:07 PM
I like the 2nd one better. That's exactly the feel I was talking about earlier.

that one is much better, the first has too much of an odd feel to it, maybe if you just desaturated the people a little, so they still had color, just not as much.

I also agree here. You could also try desaturating the entire photo but then putting all the color back in on the whole memorial. It's gray and doesn't "pop" but against the rest of the photo being desaturated, it just might. The water, sky and mountains are sharper colors so taking some of the color out will give the memorial that edge. Give that a shot.

Orgnoi1
03-21-2008, 08:51 PM
I love #2... #1 is ok but doesnt catch me as much as the second one...

brittonx
03-21-2008, 10:45 PM
I like #2.
I don't care for #1. There is something strange about it.

Selective coloring can be very powerful in some images.

twoshadows
03-21-2008, 11:54 PM
Although I'm not a big fan of the first one, let me say that you did a good job with it. You also did a good job on the second one and I like that one :) .

eXtremeMike
04-22-2008, 09:36 AM
In the first photo, try reversing your selective coloring choice. Everything we've seen of Pearl Harbor was in the B&W days, so the Memorial and surroundings would have that historical, nostalgic feel. The people are in the present passing through the b&w days of history. I think that would pop.
People in color, everything else b&w.

zacker
04-22-2008, 12:50 PM
i would opt not to use the first one at all just because of all the people.. I mean not use it for SC.. its a great photo on its own!

eXtremeMike
04-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Is the selective coloring available with PS CS2,3 or is it available on vr.9? I like the effect but have never tried it.

JayVig
04-23-2008, 10:14 PM
it's very simple mike. here are quick steps that you can do with any photo application that does layers.

open the photo
add a new adjustment layer for hue/saturation
reduce the saturation as far down as possible (CS3 value is -100)
take a paintbrush with black color and paint in the spots that you want the color

if you screw up or need to edge things and make them B&W again, then use a white brush.

what you're doing is basically letting the color from the main photo come through the desaturated layer.

flatten layers and close. DONE!

NYracefan
04-29-2008, 09:56 PM
The first photo I prefer the full color version. Something just does not look right to me with the SC version (though I must say you did do a nice job getting all the people in B/W, I am horrible at that sort of stuff )

The second photo, the one with the flag in color, is simply amazing, something I would hang on my wall kind of amazing. Very powerfull image, and very well composed.