PDA

View Full Version : Graphic Authority and Photoshop....

oldnavy170
02-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Well I was reading the ProPhoto magazine and came across this ad for www.graphicauthority.com (http://www.graphicauthority.com) website that sells Photoshop plug-ins. I fell in LOVE with what they have and the way people used them on their photos. However, its only good on Photoshop CS and above. I looked into upgrading from PS Elements to PS CS and the cost would run me at least $400 or more. I really love this plug-in but I can't afford to upgrade PS and pay another $200 for Graphic Authority.

Has anyone ever heard of this plug-in and does anyone know of a similar program that works with Elements? I am willing to upgrade to Lightroom but it has to be worth it for me to do so.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

zacker
02-09-2008, 04:07 PM
never heard of them but i can say, everything a plug in can do, you can do yourself....granted youd have to learn to but there are tons of free tutorials out there.. ill go look at the site, see what they look like.

zacker
02-09-2008, 04:17 PM
ok...all your buying from them are borders, edges, frames and textures... you can make all those for free and / or down load em for free use. google free textures or frre photoshop brushes.. go to flicker and search the groups, for grunge, or textures, or photoshop.. tons of info. does your pse have layers and maskes? if so, your in luck.

oldnavy170
02-09-2008, 05:09 PM
Well Elements has layers but I'm not sure about the masking (if thats how you say it:)). The problem is I have done TONS of searches on plug-ins and actions for Elements and there is not much out there that works with Elements. I know that Lightroom has more to offer.

If you know of any plug-ins that work with Elements let me know. Thanks.

zacker
02-09-2008, 09:00 PM
lightroom isnt much for photomanipulation, its more for developing... i think you can upgrade to cs3 for like $200.00 or something like that.. go to the adobe site.

zacker
02-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Jamie, what version of elements do you have? go to my flickr profile, there are a few photoshop groups i belong to you should join... photoshop support group is one, grunge artwork is another.. then i got one called something like borders and frames or texturs... check em out, also, do a search for groups that are specific to your version of PSE..

StudioCMC
02-12-2008, 09:18 PM
Well, I do understand costs, and the need to budget money for such addons (plugins) for Photoshop.

The basics comes down to Photoshop or Lightroom. I have chosen the path of Photoshop, and the big hurdle is that it too has a steep learning curve, but if you do make the purchase in either program, as Craig pointed out you can DO all of that by yourself. Rather than buying a fixed package that runs actions.

Now mind you I will tell you that I am going to photshop world for the first time ever in my life. I will be going to Orlando with another photographer in my area, who I think can do WAY better postwork than I can. He convinced me to go, as he felt I knew enough to get some good use of the show.

So, debt be damned get photoshop, and start to work with it, once you get over the pain of buying it, the upgrades will ALWAYS be $200.00 from version to version. I have been doing that since Photoshop Version 5.

Photoshop is (in my opinion) the standard to which all other programs try to emulate. Lightroom is not photoshop but the select toolsets from photoshop in one box. Photoshop however does it all from web design to custom built grpahics to photograpy and film.

So its an expensive decion to make in life, but its well worth it, especialy if your plan to do your postwork. I have fould HUNDEREDS of photographers who are great shooters, and still have no clue how to do the postwork.

Photoshop can be a whole new hobby above and beyond the Camera, and Photography as a whole..

But I bet this didnt help much.. :D
Chris

zacker
02-12-2008, 09:35 PM
jamie, go to my flickr page and look at my groups im in, there are some great photoshop ones out there....

Teresa221
02-12-2008, 09:44 PM
I didn't see anything on that site that you can't get for free. I have a LARGE collection of borders, brushes and textures that I got all for free.

Great source for free brushes -

http://www.brushes.obsidiandawn.com/index.htm

And textures are EVERYWHERE. Heck, you can even make your own. Go out and take pictures of objects with great textures and VOILA!

Save your money and upgrade to CS3.

oldnavy170
02-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Chris, thanks for your comments. I really want to upgrade sooner then later. :)

I am so jealous that your going to Orlando. I get the invitation in my email but again.......$$$$ LOL!!!!

oldnavy170
02-12-2008, 09:50 PM
jamie, go to my flickr page and look at my groups im in, there are some great photoshop ones out there....

I will have to check it out. Thanks.

oldnavy170
02-12-2008, 09:51 PM
I didn't see anything on that site that you can't get for free. I have a LARGE collection of borders, brushes and textures that I got all for free.

Great source for free brushes -

http://www.brushes.obsidiandawn.com/index.htm

And textures are EVERYWHERE. Heck, you can even make your own. Go out and take pictures of objects with great textures and VOILA!

Save your money and upgrade to CS3.

I hope once I upgrade I will beable to do that. Thanks for your ideas.

StudioCMC
02-12-2008, 09:53 PM
Well here is a video to get an idea of some of the power od Lightroom, and how it can improve your workflow.

This Lightroom is basicly Adobie Bridge (that comes with Photoshop) So Lightroom does have value, but to DO the artsy stuff like what you asked for this is more photoshop or manipulation effects.

Here is the video link showing some editing being done.

http://www.peachpit.com/content/images/irf_guide_photoshop_arguelles/elementLinks/Synchronizing.mov

Chris

Teresa221
02-12-2008, 10:05 PM
I hope once I upgrade I will beable to do that. Thanks for your ideas.

You can do that with textures now. Simply make your texture a JPG image and make it a layer above your original image then reduce the opacity. Also erase around the the main subject - textures are usually too overwhelming to go over people, unless you a purposely going for an aged or vintage look.

rfreschner
02-12-2008, 10:41 PM
Just for some clarification, Lightroom is a metadata editor and, therefore, is limited in what it can and can't do to an image. Don't get me wrong, I have it and use it all the time and love it. But, to do the kind of processing you're looking to do (pixel editing), I agree with Chris - make the jump to CS3. There are many upgrade offer floating around, some better values than others but none of them real cheap.

oldnavy170
02-12-2008, 10:55 PM
Well here is a video to get an idea of some of the power od Lightroom, and how it can improve your workflow.

This Lightroom is basicly Adobie Bridge (that comes with Photoshop) So Lightroom does have value, but to DO the artsy stuff like what you asked for this is more photoshop or manipulation effects.

Here is the video link showing some editing being done.

http://www.peachpit.com/content/images/irf_guide_photoshop_arguelles/elementLinks/Synchronizing.mov

Chris

Great link Chris. I actually saved it to my favorites. Thanks.